2013年4月26日 星期五

“Labor” Day 增「產」報國‏

每日 EZ Word 
not sleep a wink 失眠,睡不著
wink 有「眨眼」的意思,但用於否定句如 not sleep a wink、not get a wink of sleep,則是「小睡片刻」的意思。

A: Why the dark circles under your eyes?
你為何有黑眼圈?
B: I didn’t sleep a wink last night.
我昨晚一夜沒闔眼。
poke fun at… 取笑,嘲諷
每個人身上總有幾個癢處,一被碰到就渾身不自在,但看到別人被戳到癢處哭笑不得的表情,卻又會覺得好笑。poke fun at… 字面的意思「用手指戳(某處)來取樂」,也就是「(拿別人的某一點來)取笑」。

A: People are always poking fun at my accent.
大家老是取笑我的口音。
B: Don’t let it get to you. Your English is getting better all the time.
別放在心上。你的英文一直在進步。
pay a visit 拜訪
visit 在這個片語裡當名詞用,而 visit 本身也可以當動詞,因此下面對話中的第一句也可以說 What do you say we visit Aunt Ellie while we’re in San Francisco?

A: What do you say we pay a visit to Aunt Ellie while we’re in San Francisco?
我們到舊金山時去探望愛麗阿姨如何?
B: That’s a great idea. We haven’t seen her in ages.
好主意。我們好久沒見到她了。
Here we/you go. 拿去吧。
Here we/you go. 可不是「往這邊走」喔!Here we/you go. 也可以說 Here we/you are. 或 Here. 都用在拿東西給人家的同時,表示「拿去、來,這是要給你的東西」。

A: May I see your passport and boarding pass, please?
可以給我看一下你的護照及登機證嗎?
B: Here you go.
拿去吧。
at one’s beck and call 隨時聽某人差遣,任人擺佈
beck 是「點頭,招手」這類叫人過來的動作。「我隨時樂意為你服務」可以說 (I’m) at your service. 而 at one’s beck and call 就是人家點個頭、招個手,就趕緊過去看要做什麼,也就是「任人擺佈」,因帶有負面意味,常與 not 連用。

A: Go get me a beer out of the fridge, will ya?
幫我到冰箱拿一罐啤酒,好嗎?
B: Hey, I’m not at your beck and call!
嘿,我可不供你使喚!
over one’s head 無法應付;自不量力
這句話是形容某人處於無法掌控的狀況,或是嘗試去做超過自己能力太多的事情。
句型 …is in over one’s head.

A: Do you need some help on your project?
你的案子需要幫忙嗎?
B: Yeah, that would be great. I’m really in over my head.
好,那太好了,我真的無法應付。
Hang in there. 撐著點。加油。
hang 有「吊死」的意思,對話中 Jack 是用雙關語嘲笑自己受盡 Carol的折磨。

A: I have three term papers due, and I haven’t even started studying for finals yet!
我有三個學期報告要交,而且還沒開始念書準備期末考!
B: Hang in there. Summer vacation’s just two weeks away.
加油吧。再過兩個禮拜就放暑假了。
fall in with… (偶然)認識
fall in with 表示在沒有特意安排的情況下認識。

A: How come Michelle started taking drugs?
蜜雪兒怎麼會開始吸毒?
B: She fell in with a fast crowd in college.
她在大學認識了一群豬朋狗友。
a labor of love 甜蜜的負荷
a labor of love 是指「做起來艱苦又得不到實質回饋,但仍讓人甘之如飴,做起來心甘情願的事」。對話中 Carol 是在玩 labor 的雙關語(表示「苦勞」,同時也是「生產」)。

A: Does Daniel get paid for coaching the little league soccer team?
丹尼爾指導兒童聯盟足球隊有支薪嗎?
B: No. It’s a labor of love.
沒有。很辛苦,但他樂在其中。
travel bug 旅遊慾望
英文有一句話說 be bitten by the travel bug(被旅遊蟲叮到),是在形容對旅行上癮,非常想再去旅行的感覺。如果把 travel 換成其他字眼,就表示「迷上……」。
例 Mike and his friends have been bitten by the World Cup bug.
麥可和幾個朋友迷上了世界盃足球賽。
今日會話 EZ Talk 

Jack: How you feeling, babe?
傑克:寶貝,妳感覺怎麼樣?
Carol: My feet are so swollen I can barely walk, and I have the worst gas I’ve ever had in my life…
卡蘿:我的腳腫到都快不能走了,而且我這輩子脹氣沒這麼嚴重過……。
Jack: Tell me about it.…
傑克:這不用妳說我也知道……。
Carol: Ha, sorry. And I can’t sleep a wink at night. I can’t fit into any of my clothes either—I feel like I’m about to 1)pop!
卡蘿:哈,真抱歉。而且我晚上都睡不著。我每一件衣服都穿不下——我覺得我快爆開來了!
Jack: You won’t have to 2)suffer much longer, honey. You’re in the 3)home stretch.
傑克:不會難過太久了,寶貝。妳已經快要臨盆了。
Carol: I don’t think I can carry this baby to 4)full term. I’m gonna die before that happens.
卡蘿:我不覺得這孩子我能懷到足月,我在那之前就要死啦。
Jack: Don’t talk like that. In Taiwan, people don’t even joke about that.
傑克:別說那種話。在台灣,我們連拿這個開玩笑都不行。
Carol: Hey, this is America, and I can joke however I want!
卡蘿:拜託,這裡是美國,我愛怎麼開玩笑,就怎麼開玩笑!
Jack: Yes, dear. So what do you want to do for Labor Day?
傑克:好啦,寶貝。那妳勞動節那天想要幹嘛?
Carol: Not the typical stuff, seeing as I’m 1)practically handicapped.
卡蘿:不能照老樣子,你沒看我基本上已經殘廢了。
Jack: What do people usually do?
傑克:那大家一般都會做什麼?
Carol: You know, lake stuff—swimming, waterskiing, jet skiing, grilling.
卡蘿:你也知道,就是到湖邊玩——游泳、滑水、水上摩托車、烤肉。
Jack: Well, grilling shouldn’t be too much of a strain. And you can still eat, that’s for sure!
傑克:嗯,烤肉應該不會太緊張,而且妳還能吃,這點毫無疑問!
Carol: Are you saying I’ve been eating too much?
卡蘿:你的意思是我吃太多了嗎?
Jack: Of course not—you need your 1)nutrition. And you look great. Speaking of nutrition, is there anything I can get you?
傑克:當然不是啊——妳需要營養。而且妳看起來好極了。說到營養,有什麼要我幫妳準備的嗎?
Carol: Well, since you 2)brought it up, I could use a steak, medium rare, some chocolate chip ice cream, and some macaroni and cheese.
卡蘿:既然你提起了,我想要一塊牛排,五分熟、一些巧克力碎片冰淇淋,還有乳酪通心粉。
Jack: Ha-ha. Is that all? Coming right up, honey. About Labor Day—how about having a house party?
傑克:哈哈,這些就夠了嗎?馬上就替妳送上,寶貝。至於勞動節那天——要不要在家裡辦一場派對?
Carol: But most people take advantage of the three-day weekend to get out of town.
卡蘿:但是大家都會利用那三天的週末假期到外地去玩。
Jack: Exactly, which means traffic will be a 3)nightmare. That’s why it’s the perfect time to enjoy a nice 4)staycation.
傑克:沒錯,那表示交通會是一場惡夢。所以這時候最適合享受在家度假的感覺。
Carol: Mmm, the steak is great. But the mac ’n’ cheese is too thick.
卡蘿:嗯,牛排好好吃。但乳酪通心粉太黏了。
Jack: Should I add some milk?
傑克:要我加點牛奶嗎?
Carol: Yeah, and a little garlic powder. I’m craving garlic.
卡蘿:好啊,還要灑點大蒜粉。我好想吃大蒜。
Jack: Here we go. Mmm, that’s awesome!
傑克:拿來囉。嗯,好好吃喔!
Carol: My mom says she 1)came up with lots of her best recipes when she was pregnant.
卡蘿:我媽說她很多最好的食譜都是懷孕時想出來的。
Jack: And that’s when your dad had to learn how to cook?
傑克:那也是妳爸爸學會作菜的時候囉?
Carol: Yes…just like you, dear. You’ll be a master chef in no time.
卡蘿:沒錯……就跟你一樣,寶貝。你很快就會變成大廚師了。
Jack is at work.
傑克在上班。
Rick: You OK, buddy? You look tired. Does your preggers wife have you at her beck and call?
瑞克:老弟,你還好吧?看起來很累唷。你那懷孕的太太把你當奴才使喚對吧?
Jack: How did you know? I can’t seem to please her. It’s 1)24/7.…
傑克:你怎麼知道?我好像沒辦法讓她滿意。要隨時待命……。
Rick: Just wait till the baby’s born. Your wife will seem 2)easygoing in 3)comparison.
瑞克:耐心等到寶寶出生吧。你太太會比現在隨和得多。
Jack: Then I’m gonna be in over my head, for sure.
傑克:等到那時候我一定會忙死。
Rick: Have some 4)sympathy, though. You wouldn’t want to be 5)in her shoes. Her hormones are all 6)out of whack. Hang in there, man.
瑞克:還是有點同理心吧。你不會想要跟她易地而處的,她的賀爾蒙完全失調。你撐著點囉。
Jack: I’ll try—if she doesn’t hang me first.
傑克:我盡量——前提是她沒先把我搞死。
Rick: Ha-ha. I know it’s tough. By the way, what did you get her?
瑞克:哈哈。我知道這並不容易。對了,你送她什麼?
Jack is at work.
傑克在上班。
Jack: Get her?
傑克:送她?
Rick: In the U.S., we get our wives a “push present” when they give birth. 瑞克:在美國,太太生產時,我們會送「生產禮物」。
Jack: I had no idea. What should I get her? And when do I give it to her?
傑克:我不知道。我該買什麼給她?該什麼時候給她?
Rick: After the baby is born. Most women get jewelry, and there are lots of new mom rings and 1)charms out there. But I was more creative—I gave my wife 2)maid service for six months.
瑞克:寶寶出生後。大多數媽媽會收到珠寶,市面上有很多送新生兒媽媽的戒指和墜子。但我比較有創意啦——我送太太六個月的傭人服務。
Jack: That’s brilliant! I could give Carol a massage gift 3)certificate. Her back’s been hurting her a lot.
傑克:真聰明!那我可以送卡蘿按摩禮券。她一直喊背痛。
Rick: Or a 4)tummy tuck! If you can afford it…
瑞克:不然就送腹部拉皮手術囉!如果你有錢的話……。
The Day before Labor Day
勞動節前一天
Jack: Honey, I’m home! How’s my favorite girl?
傑克:寶貝,我回家了!我最親愛的女生還好嗎?
Carol: [1)groaning] My back is killing me. And the baby won’t stop kicking.
卡蘿:(呻吟聲)我的背痛死了,寶寶還一直踢個不停。
Jack: Here, put your feet up. I brought you a movie to watch.
傑克:來,把妳的腳抬起來。我幫妳帶了一部片子回來看。
Carol: And popcorn? Thanks, babe. Oh no! Jack! I think my water just broke!
卡蘿:還有爆米花?謝啦,寶貝。糟了!傑克!我的羊水剛剛好像破了!
Jack: Oh my god! We’ve got to get you to the hospital!
傑克:天啊!我們得趕緊把妳送到醫院!
Carol: Let me change first. I can’t believe this is happening now. It’s too early!
卡蘿:我先去換衣服。真不敢相信就是現在了,還太早了!
Jack: You’ll be fine. I’ll go grab your hospital bag and warm up the car.
傑克:妳不會有事的。我去拿妳要帶去醫院的袋子,然後去暖車。
At the hospital
在醫院
Carol: Doctor, I’m three weeks before my 1)due date. What’s going on?
卡蘿:醫生,我還有三個禮拜才到預產期。怎麼回事?
Doctor: No need to worry. Three weeks early isn’t unusual for a first child.
醫生:不必擔心。生第一胎提早三週並不罕見。
Carol: Is the baby all right?
卡蘿:寶寶沒事嗎?
Doctor: Everything looks great. How are the2)contractions?
醫生:看起來很好。收縮的情況如何?
Carol: 3)Manageable so far. How much longer will it be?
卡蘿:目前還應付得來。還要多久?
Doctor: That’s up to the baby. Hopefully within 24 hours to avoid 4)infection. But we can 5)induce labor if necessary. Just try to relax.
醫生:要看寶寶囉。希望能在二十四小時之內,以免感染。但必要時我們可以催生。妳放輕鬆就好。
“Labor” Day
分娩日(勞動節)
Jack: Congratulations, babe. You did it! We have a beautiful baby boy.
傑克:恭喜,寶貝。妳辦到了!我們有一個漂亮的男寶寶了。
Carol: He’s gorgeous, Jack. He has your nose…and your mouth.
卡蘿:他好可愛,傑克。他有你的鼻子,還有嘴巴。
Jack: And your eyes. Are you feeling OK?
傑克:還有妳的眼睛。妳還好嗎?
Carol: Yeah, just tired. It’s a good thing we didn’t leave town for Labor Day.
卡蘿:還好,只是很累。幸好我們沒有出遠門過勞動節。
Jack:  Exactly. Who could’ve known you’d go into labor on Labor Day?
傑克:沒錯。誰想得到妳會在勞動節生產?
Carol: A labor of love, ha-ha.
卡蘿:真是個甜蜜的負荷,哈哈。
今日EZ單字 
pop (v.) 碰的一聲(爆裂)
Let’s pop some popcorn and watch a DVD.
我們來爆爆米花,然後看一部DVD。
suffer (v.) 遭受,受苦
The man suffered many setbacks before achieving success.
這位男士成功之前遭受許多挫折。
home stretch (phr.) 最後衝刺/階段;最後一段的直線跑道,亦作homestretch
The project has taken months, but we’re finally in the home stretch.
這個案子已經進行數月,但現在終於到了最後階段。
full term (phr.) 足月(妊娠滿四十週)出生
Babies born at full term are less likely to have health problems.
足月出生的寶寶比較不會有健康問題。practically (adv.) 幾乎,差不多;實際上
(a.) practical 實際的
We were practically the only people in the restaurant.
我們幾乎是餐廳裡唯一的客人。nutrition (n.) 營養,營養成分
Good nutrition is important for growing children.
營養良好對成長中的孩子極為重要。
bring up (phr.) 談到,提及
If you’re concerned about your weight, you should bring it up with your doctor.
如果擔心自己的體重,應該跟醫生討論。
nightmare (n.) 夢靨,惡夢
Going through customs and immigration was a nightmare.
過海關及入境審查真是惡夢一場。
staycation (n.) 足不出戶的度假,居家度假。是 stay 加上 vacation合成的字
If you can’t afford a vacation, why not take a staycation?
如果負擔不起出去度假,何不在家度假?come up with (phr.)(針對問題)想出,提供
How do you come up with such brilliant ideas?
你是怎麼想出這麼棒的點子?twenty-four seven (adv./a.) 全年無休(不打烊)( 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 的縮寫)
It seems like Rick and his new girlfriend are together 24/7.
瑞克跟他的新女友似乎整天膩在一起。
easygoing (a.) 隨和的,不拘小節的
Australians are known for being easygoing and friendly.
澳洲人以隨和友善聞名。
comparison (n.) 比較,對照
In comparison with Americans, Asians eat less meat.
跟美國人比起來,亞洲人吃的肉比較少。
sympathy (n.) 同情心
I have no sympathy for people who break the law.
我毫不同情犯法的人。
in someone’s shoes (phr.) 處於某人的位置,設身處地
If I were in your shoes, I’d quit and find a new job.
如果我是你,我會辭職另謀高就。
out of whack (phr.) 失調,失常,故障
The suspension in my car is out of whack.
我這輛車的懸吊壞了。 charm (n.) 項鍊等的吊飾、綴飾;護身符
How do you like my new cell phone charm?
喜不喜歡我新買的手機吊飾啊?
maid (n.) 女傭,maid service 是指「到府清潔服務」
Our family isn’t rich enough to hire a maid.
我們家沒有富有到能請女傭。
certificate (n.) 證明,證書,gift certificate 即「禮券」
You need a copy of your birth certificate to apply for a passport.
申請護照需要附一份出生證明。
tummy tuck (n.) 腹部拉皮
If I get a tummy tuck, will it leave a scar?
如果做腹部拉皮,會留下疤痕嗎? groan (v./n.) 呻吟
The wounded soldier groaned with pain.
受傷士兵疼痛呻吟。due (a.) 到期的,預期的,due date到期日,期限
When is your baby due?
你的寶寶預產期是何時?
contraction (n.) 收縮,緊縮
Muscle contraction is controlled by the central nervous system.
肌肉收縮是由中樞神經系統控制。
manageable (a.) 可應付的,可控制的
The project was divided into smaller, more manageable tasks.
這個計畫被劃分成規模較小、較容易掌握的任務。
infection (n.) 傳染,感染
The doctor prescribed antibiotics for my throat infection.
醫生開抗生素治療我的喉嚨感染。
induce (v.) 引起,導致,induce labor 用人工方法催生
The doctor is afraid that surgery could induce a heart attack.
醫生擔心手術會引發心肌梗塞。

沒有留言:

張貼留言