2013年4月26日 星期五

Taking Care of Your Eyes 眼部保健實用對話‏

每日 EZ Word 
pave the way (for) 為……鋪路
這句話意思是為了目標做準備,因為路鋪好了,走得才會更順利,目標也就更容易達成囉!

A: I don’t really like Nirvana’s first album.
我不是很喜歡超脫樂團的第一張專輯。
B: Me neither, but at least it paved the way for their success.
我也是,但至少它為他們的成功鋪了條路。
not give someone the time of day 對某人不理不睬
這句是表示因為不喜歡對方,或不屑對方而懶得理他們。

A: Why don’t you ask Kathy out on a date?
你為什麼不邀凱西去約會?
B: Kathy? Are you kidding? She won’t even give me the time of day.
凱西?你在開玩笑吧!她根本不會理我!
wear one’s heart on one’s sleeve 開誠布公
wear one’s heart on one’s sleeve 開誠布公,把感情表現出來

這句話表示「毫不掩飾地公開自己的感覺」,也可以說 have one’s heart on one’s sleeve,要注意介系詞是 on,不要與另一個片語 have…up one’s sleeve「身懷絕技」搞混了,前者是別在袖子上面 (on) 讓人看到,後者是藏在袖子裡面 (up) 不為人知。

A: I really like Ryan, but he doesn’t even know I exist.
我真的很喜歡萊恩,但他根本就沒有注意到我的存在。
B: He probably doesn’t even know how you feel. You should wear your heart on your sleeve.
他大概根本沒注意到妳對他的感覺,妳應該把感情表現出來。
get/have the upper hand 佔上風,掌握局面
中文「先手」是下棋時先下的一方,因為取得主動權,因此佔優勢就是「得先手」,與英文的 get the upper hand 不謀而合。要表示勝過某人,句型為 get /have the upper hand + on + 某人

A: Who do you think is gonna win the fight?
你認為誰會贏得這場比賽?
B: I think the guy in the red shorts has the upper hand, but it’s hard to say.
我覺得穿紅色短褲的那個人佔上風,不過很難說。
今日會話 EZ Talk 

Optometrist: Now that we have an 1)approximate2)prescription for you, we’ll do some 3)fine-tuning. Hold this over your left eye so that you can only see with your right eye.
驗光師:好,我們現在有你大致的度數了,要來做些微調。把這個舉著遮住你的左眼,只用右眼看。
Patient: Like this?
患 者:像這樣嗎?
Optometrist: Right. Now which side of the picture is clearer—the red side or the green side?
驗光師:對。哪邊的圖片比較清晰——紅色這邊還是綠色這邊?
Patient: Umm…the left side.
患 者:呃……左邊這張。
Optometrist:  All right, how about now?
驗光師:好,現在呢?
Patient: The right side.
患 者:右邊。
Optometrist:  OK. Now let’s switch eyes…
驗光師:好,來換另一眼。
Visiting an ophthalmologist
看眼科醫師
Patient: Doctor, I’m worried about my eyes. Yesterday, one was kind of itchy and 1)bloodshot. And this morning when I woke up, I had a lot of dried…uh…2)gunk on my 3)eyelids.
患 者:醫師,我很擔心我的眼睛。昨天有一隻眼睛有點癢又充血,今天早上起床的時候,眼瞼上有很多乾掉的……呃……眼屎
Doctor: It sounds like a case of conjunctivitis, or “pinkeye.” Let’s have a look.
醫師:聽起來是結膜炎,或稱「紅眼症」。我們來檢查一下。
Patient: Ugh, sounds serious! Will it affect my 4)eyesight?
患 者:呃,聽起來很嚴重!會影響我的視力嗎?
Doctor:  No. Conjunctivitis is just 5)inflammation of the 6)membrane that covers your eye. I’ll 7)prescribe some eye drops. It should go away in about a week.
醫師:不會,結膜炎只是覆蓋眼睛的那層薄膜發炎。我會開眼藥水給你,一星期左右應該就會好。
Visiting an ophthalmologist
看眼科醫師
Patient: My eyes always feel tired at the end of the day. I’ve noticed that sometimes I have trouble seeing things far away, but in the morning my 1)vision is normal again.
患 者:我的眼睛到了晚上總是非常疲勞,我最近注意到有時候看遠會不清楚,但到了早上視力又恢復正常。
Doctor: Do you use a computer at work?
醫師:你工作時會使用電腦嗎?
Patient: Yes. All the time.
患 者:對。工作時都在用。
Doctor:  Well, it could be computer vision 2)syndrome. Your eyes have to work hard looking at a computer screen, so it’s important to give them some rest. You should close your eyes and rest for a minute or so every half hour.
醫師:嗯,有可能是電腦視力症候群。你的眼睛必須努力看電腦螢幕,因此一定要讓眼睛休息,每半小時要閉眼休息一兩分鐘。
Choosing 1)Frames
挑鏡框
Customer: I’m looking for new eyeglass frames—one pair for myself and another for my boyfriend.
顧客:我要找新的眼鏡框——一副自用,一副給我男友。
Clerk: Well, for you I’d suggest this pair. You have an 2)oval face, so the frames should be wider than the widest part of your face. What shape is your boyfriend’s face?
店員:嗯,妳要用的我建議這一副。妳的臉是橢圓形,鏡框要比臉部最寬處還寬。妳的男友是哪一種臉形?
Customer: I’d say square.
顧客:算是方形臉吧。
Clerk:  Then you’d want something narrow to make his face look longer.
店員:那應該要找比較窄的,讓臉看起來比較長。
今日EZ單字 
approximate (a.) 大約的
Can you tell me the approximate cost of the repair?
可以告訴我大致的修繕費用嗎?
prescription (n.) 處方,(眼鏡)度數
My prescription hasn’t changed for years.
我的眼鏡度數已經維持多年不變。
fine-tune (v.) 微調
(n.) fine-tuning
The mechanics fine-tuned the racecar’s engine before the race.
汽車技師在賽前為賽車的引擎進行微調。
bloodshot (a.) 充血的
Rick wore sunglasses to hide his bloodshot eyes.
瑞克戴太陽眼鏡以遮掩充血的眼睛。
gunk (n.) 黏糊的東西,污垢
Could you wipe that gunk off the windshield?
可以幫忙把擋風玻璃上那個黏黏的東西擦掉嗎?
eyelid (n.) 眼皮,眼瞼
Dogs and cats have an extra eyelid.
狗和貓(除上下眼皮之外)還有一層眼皮。
eyesight (n.) 視力
Pilots are required to have perfect eyesight.
飛行員必須具備完美的視力。
inflammation (n.)(醫)發炎
Aspirin will help reduce the inflammation.
阿斯匹靈有助於減輕發炎。
membrane (n.) 薄膜
The touch screen is protected by a thin membrane.
觸控螢幕有一層薄膜保護。
prescribe (v.) 開藥,開處方
The doctor prescribed antibiotics for the infection.
醫生開抗生素治療感染。
vision (n.) 視力,視覺
Do you have 20/20 vision?
你的視力是一點零嗎?
syndrome (n.) 症候群,綜合症狀
AIDS is a syndrome that affects the immune system.
愛滋病是一種侵襲免疫系統的症候群。
frame [frem] (n.) 框,架
The window frames rattle when the wind blows.
風吹的時候,窗框會搖動。
oval [`ovy] (a./n.) 橢圓形(的)
I have an oval mirror on the wall in my bedroom.
我的臥室牆上有一個橢圓型鏡子。

沒有留言:

張貼留言