2013年6月8日 星期六

You’ll be up and running in no time.關心他人健康狀況‏

每日 EZ Word 

My…is/are killing me. ……痛死我了。
這裡是用 kill「宰殺」來表示疼痛給人的折磨,與中文說「痛死」、「痠死」一樣,都是誇張的口語表達法。
tough something out 硬撐過去,熬過苦難
tough 一般都當形容詞「強悍的」、「剛毅的」,在這邊當作動詞「咬牙苦撐」,是很口語的表達法。
return to one’s…ways 重返作風,走回頭路
想要形容某人本性難改又重回昔日生活時,就可以用 return to one’s…ways 來表示。像是文章中形容 Samantha 重回以前四處獵豔的日子時,便可以在 way 的前面加上cougar (美洲獅,用來暗指那些專吃嫩草的熟女)來貼切表示。
far from over相差很遠,遙遙無期
far from 照字面解釋為「離……遠遠地」,over 代表「結束」,far from over 則表示離結束還很遠,也就是「相差很遠,遙遙無期」。另外 far from 後面還可以接形容詞,表示離某種狀態還很遠。例如:It is far from (being) perfect.(離完美還差得遠哩!)
Tell…I said hello. 代我向(某人)問好。
另一句 Give my regards to….(代我向某人致意。)是很正式、客氣的說法,若是在輕鬆的場合或要好的朋友之間,就可以說 Tell … I said hello.
on-again-off-again 分分合合
想形容情侶分手又復合的反覆愛情關係,就可以在on(進行的)和off(結束的)後面直接加上again來表示。
score (some) points 加分,增加好感
score points 字面上看來是「得分」的意思,常常用來引申提高在某人心中的分數和地位,以增加彼此好感。
come for sb./sth. 取走,來拿;來找麻煩,強行帶走
come for sb./sth. 原指到某處帶走某人或取走某件事情,例如:the limo will come for us「禮車會來接我」,come for the book「來拿這本書」。另一個解釋是「警方來逮捕某人」的意思。在本文中就表示阿逢的女朋友會「親自」來對付他囉。
 
今日會話 EZ Talk 
Whitney: What’s wrong, Dan? You don’t look so 1)hot.
惠妮:阿丹你怎麼了?你看起來不太舒服。
Dan: What do you mean?
丹 :什麼意思?
Whitney: You look like you’re in pain.
惠妮:你看起來好像很痛。
Dan: Is it that obvious? My tooth is killing me.
丹 :那麼明顯嗎?我的牙齒痛死了。
Whitney: Do you want a 2)painkiller? I have some in the car.
惠妮:你需要止痛藥嗎?我車裡有。
Dan: No, thanks. I already took some. I think I need something extra-strength.
丹 :不必了,謝謝。我已經吃了,看來我需要更強效的東西。
Whitney: I can drive you to 1)urgent care during my lunch break if you like.
惠妮:如果你想要的話,我午餐休息時可以載你去看急診。
Dan: That’s OK. I’ll just tough it out. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow.
丹 :沒關係,我再撐一下就過去了。我明天約好要去看牙醫了。
Whitney: Man, you’re a 2)fighter. Let me know if you change your mind.
惠妮:天啊,你真勇。如果你改變心意再跟我說。
Dan: Thanks. I think I’ll 3)manage.
丹 :謝了。我想我還受得了。
Eva: Ouch! I just bit the inside of my lip!
伊娃:唉唷!我剛剛咬到嘴唇裡面了!
Johnny: I hate it when that happens. Is it 1)bleeding?
強尼:我最討厭咬破嘴了。有流血嗎?
Eva: A little. Wow, that really hurts.
伊娃:有點。哇,好痛喔。
Johnny: Should I get you some ice? It’ll help 2)numb the pain.
強尼:要我拿點冰塊給你嗎?能幫助麻痺疼痛。
Eva: No, that’s OK. It’s not that serious.
伊娃:不必了,沒關係。沒那麼嚴重。
Johnny: You need to be careful. It can turn into a canker sore.
強尼:妳得小心點。有可能變成口腔潰瘍(編註:俗稱「嘴破」)。
Eva: I know. But how can I keep that from happening?
伊娃:我知道,但要怎麼預防?
Johnny: I have some 3)ointment you can put on it. Let me get it for you.
強尼:我有藥膏,妳可以塗一點。我去拿來給妳。
Eva: Thanks. You’re an angel.
伊娃:謝謝。你真好。
Carrie: Sir! Are you OK?
凱莉:先生!你還好嗎?
Will: Ouch! That was painful.
威爾:唉唷!還真痛。
Carrie: Are you injured?
凱莉:你有受傷嗎?
Will: No, I think I’m all right.
威爾:沒有,我好像沒事。
Carrie: What happened?
凱莉:發生什麼事了?
Will: I slipped on a wet 1)patch at the top of the stairs.
威爾:樓梯頂上有一小塊積水,我滑倒了。
Carrie: You fell down the whole 2)flight of stairs!
凱莉:你從一整段樓梯上跌下來!
Will: I’m so 3)embarrassed.
威爾:真是尷尬。
Carrie: Don’t be. Let me help you up. You might have sprained something.
凱莉:別尷尬。我扶你站起來。你可能有扭傷哪裡喔。
Will: Thanks a lot.
威爾:多謝了。
Carrie: You’re welcome. Take care.
凱莉:不客氣。保重。
Kip: How are you feeling?
基普:妳感覺怎麼樣?
Fran: OK. Sorry I can’t come to the party tonight.
法蘭:還好。抱歉今晚不能參加派對了。
Kip: Don’t be silly. You’re 1)laid up in the hospital.
基普:別說傻話了,妳躺在醫院裡耶。
Fran: I just wish I could be there.
法蘭:真希望我能去。
Kip: You just worry about getting better!
基普:妳只要顧著養病就好了!
Fran: OK. Tell everyone I said hello.
法蘭:好。幫我跟大家問好。
Kip: I will. We’re all 1)praying for your 2)speedy 3)recovery. I’ll come see you tomorrow.
基普:我會的。我們都祝你早日康復。我明天會再來看妳。
Fran: Great! Don’t forget to bring pictures of the party!
法蘭:太好了!別忘了帶派對的照片來!
Kip: I will. Now you get some rest. I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon.
基普:我會的。妳現在休息一下吧。我明天下午來看妳。
Fran: OK. Thanks. Have a great party.
法蘭:好。多謝了。派對上好好玩。
Diana: Ah-choo!
黛安娜:哈啾!
Elbert: Bless you! Sounds like you have a cold.
艾伯特:祝福妳!妳好像感冒了。
Diana: It just won’t go away. It’s been two weeks now.
黛安娜:就是好不了。到現在已經兩個星期了。
Elbert: Try to get some rest. I think you’re too stressed out.
艾伯特:試著休息一下吧。我覺得妳壓力太大了。
Diana: Who has time to rest? I have to work late.
黛安娜:誰有時間休息啊?我得加班。
Elbert: Would it help if I 1)took over some of the 2)project for a while?
艾伯特:如果我暫時幫妳處理一些工作,會有幫助嗎?
Diana: Would you?
黛安娜:你願意嗎?
Elbert: If it meant you’re getting better, sure.
艾伯特:如果這代表妳會好起來,當然願意。
Diana: You’re a 3)lifesaver!
黛安娜:你真是我的救命恩人!
Carol: Hey Daddy! Happy Father’s Day!
卡蘿:嘿,爹地。父親節快樂!
Jack: What are you doing? You shouldn’t be carrying that!
傑克:妳在幹嘛?妳不該搬那麼重的東西!
Carol: OK, OK. Just because I’m pregnant doesn’t mean I’m crippled!
卡蘿:好啦,好啦。我只不過是懷孕,並不代表我殘廢了!
Jack: All right, Wonder Woman. I’m just watching out for you and the baby.
傑克:好吧,神力女超人(編註:Wonder Woman 為美國漫畫角色)。我只是想把妳跟寶寶照顧好。
Carol: Thanks for the concern, but today’s your day. What do you think of the 1)spread?
卡蘿:多謝你的關心,但今天是你的節日。你覺得這頓大餐如何?
Jack: You made all that this morning? Honey, you shouldn’t 2)strain yourself. But it looks spectacular! Are those Belgian waffles I see?
傑克:這全都是你今天早上做的?寶貝,妳不該這麼操勞的。但看起來好豐盛!這些是格狀鬆餅嗎?
Carol: Yes, with a special topping just for you: red bean sauce. It’s definitely not something I’d crave, but I knew you’d like it.
卡蘿:沒錯,上面有為你特製的配料:紅豆醬。這絕對不是我會想吃的東西,但我知道你會喜歡。
今日EZ單字 
hot (a.)(身體)健康的,舒服的(大多用於否定句)
painkiller (n.) 止痛藥
urgent (a.) 緊急的,urgent care 即「急診」
fighter (n.) 鬥士,有勇氣、鬥志的人
manage (v.) 設法應付,勉力完成
bleed (v.) 流血,出血
numb (v./a.) 使人麻木;麻木的,失去感覺的
ointment (n.) 藥膏,油膏
patch (n.) 一片,一塊,對話中 wet patch 是指「一小塊積水的地方」
flight (n.) 一段樓梯,一層階梯
embarrassed (a.) 困窘的,尷尬的
be laid up (v.) 臥病休養
pray (v.) 祈禱(phr.) pray for/to… 祈求…能發生;向…祈禱
speedy (a.) 迅速的
recovery (n.) 復原,痊癒
take over (phr.) 接手(工作)
project (n.) 計畫,方案
lifesaver (n.) 救命者,救急的人或物
spread (n.) 盛宴,豐盛的餐點
strain (v.)(肌肉等)拉傷

1 則留言: