2013年5月18日 星期六

Atlantic City: America’s Playground 大西洋城 美國度假勝地‏

每日 EZ Word 
lose track of 記不得……,不清楚……
lose track of 原是有「對……失去聯繫;不瞭解……的動態」,對話中凱莉說 loses track of what day it is 就是說她的男友連幾月幾號都「忘記了,不清楚了」。
make up for sth. 為……作彌補,為……作補償
英文中的「彌補,補償」最常用的就是 make up,例如 I’ll make it up to you. 這句話就是「我會彌補你」的意思。
be up one’s alley 正合某人的興趣
alley 解釋為「小巷,胡同」,片語 up to one’s alley 是指「正合某人的胃口,非常適合某人」的意思,較為美式用語。
今日會話 EZ Talk 

Dialogue 1
對話一
Visitor: Excuse me. Is there an age 1)restriction to enter the casino?
遊客:不好意思,進賭場有年齡限制嗎?
2)Staff: Yes, there is. You need to be 18 or over.
員工:有的。必須年滿十八歲以上。
Visitor: I see. And what are your hours? When do you open and close?
遊客:我知道了。那你們營業時間為何?何時開門和打烊?
Staff: The casino never closes—we’re open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
員工:賭場永不打烊──我們每天二十四小時、每週七天都有營業。
Dialogue 2
對話二
Visitor: I’m a beginner. Which games would be best for me?
遊客:我是個新手。什麼遊戲最適合我?
Staff: I 2)recommend that you start with some games of chance.
員工:我推薦你從一些碰運氣的遊戲開始入門。
Visitor: Like slots or keno?
遊客:像是吃角子老虎和基諾?
Staff: Right. Or even a table game like craps or roulette. You’ll need to do a little homework to get ready to play a game of skill like poker or blackjack.
員工:是的。或是像擲骰子和俄羅斯羅盤這種桌上遊戲。撲克牌和二十一點這類需要技巧的遊戲,必須先做點功課才能玩。
Staff: Good evening. Welcome to the casino. How can I be of 1)assistance?
員工:晚安,歡迎光臨賭場,需要我的協助嗎?
Visitor: I was wondering where I could purchase some 2)chips.
遊客:我想知道哪裡可以買到籌碼。
Staff: At the 3)cashier’s cage. Go straight, pass the slots, and then turn left. The cashier windows will be straight ahead.
員工:在出納櫃台。直走,經過吃角子老虎機,再左轉。收銀員窗口就在正前方。
Visitor: Great. Thanks.
遊客:太好了,謝謝!
Staff: Wait, wait. Just a second. May I see your I.D., please?
員工:等一下,麻煩請你出示身分證明(編註:I.D. 為 identification 的縮寫)。
Visitor: Excuse me. What are the 1)betting limits here?
遊客:請問這邊下注限額是多少?
Staff: The gaming tables nearest us have one-dollar minimum and twenty-dollar 2)maximum bets. The tables farthest from us have fifty-dollar minimum and five-hundred-dollar maximum bets.
員工:最靠近我們的賭桌最低下注一元,最高下注二十元。離我們最遠的賭桌最低下注五十元,最高下注五百元。
Visitor: Got it.
遊客:了解。
Staff: Here’s a 3)rule of thumb: the more chips you see, the higher the 4)wager.
員工:根據經驗法則:看到的籌碼越多,就代表賭注越高。
今日EZ單字 
restriction (n.) 限制,限制規定 (v.) restrict
recommend (v.) 推薦,介紹
assistance (n.) 協助
chip (n.) 籌碼
cashier (n.) 收銀員,出納員
betting (n.) 下注(v./n.) bet 下注,打賭
minimum (n.) 最小值,最低限度,maximum 即「最大值,最大限度」
rule of thumb (n.) 經驗法則
wager (n./v.) 賭注;下注,打賭

沒有留言:

張貼留言