2012年9月24日 星期一

A Lesson in Listening 傾聽的一課‏‏

One day, Frank Carson stops by Suzie Brown's desk. He is holding something behind his back.
有一天,法蘭克.卡森到蘇西.布朗的桌前,他把某樣東西藏在背後。
Frank: Hi, Suzie. Keeping busy?
法蘭克:嗨,蘇西,在忙嗎?
Suzie: Frank, that's an understatement. You have no idea how many interruptions
I've had this morning.
蘇 西:法蘭克,這句話太過輕描淡寫了。你無法想像今天早上我已經被打擾多少次了。
Frank: Well, I have a little surprise for you. Can you guess what it is?
法蘭克:嗯,我有個小驚喜給妳,妳猜得到是什麼嗎?
Suzie: ( blushing ) For me? Oh, Frank, what is it?
蘇 西:(臉紅)給我的嗎?哦,法蘭克,是什麼東西?
Frank: It's this. (pulls out a stack
of papers from behind his back)
法蘭克:就是這個。(從背後抽出一疊文件)
Suzie: A big pile of papers?
蘇 西:一大疊的文件?
Frank: Yes. All this stuff needs to be filed
.
法蘭克:是的,這些東西都需要歸檔。
Suzie: That's the surprise? Papers to file?
蘇 西:這就是所謂的驚喜嗎?要歸檔的文件?
Frank: Yes. Can you take care of it for me?
法蘭克:是的,妳能幫我處理嗎?
Suzie: Frank, I have work coming out of my ears
. Besides, Mr. Walker says that...
蘇 西:法蘭克,我的工作已經太多了。更何況,沃克先生說……
Frank: I know you're busy. But I'm really busy. That's why I'd appreciate your help filing this stuff.
法蘭克:我知道妳忙,但我實在太忙了,所以如果妳能幫我歸檔的話,我會很感激妳的。
Suzie: I'd like to help you, Frank, but...
蘇 西:我很想幫你,法蘭克,但是……
Frank: Wonderful! Thank you, Suzie!
法蘭克:太好了,謝謝妳,蘇西。
Suzie is very frustrated. She goes in to see Harvey Walker.
蘇西非常沮喪,她去見哈維.沃克。
Suzie: Can I talk to you for a minute, Mr. Walker?
蘇西:沃克先生,我能和您談一談嗎?
Harvey: Sure, Suzie. Have a seat. Is something bothering
you?
哈維:當然,蘇西,請坐。有什麼事正困擾著妳嗎?
Suzie: Well, yes. It's Frank Carson. He's always asking me to do work for him. But I'm supposed to be working for you. Isn't that right?
蘇西:嗯,有的。是法蘭克.卡森。他總是要我幫他做事。但我應該只做您所交待的事,不是嗎?
Harvey: Yes, Suzie. You're my executive assistant, not the office slave.
哈維:是的,蘇西。妳是我的執行助理,不是辦公室的奴隸。
Suzie: Well, today was the third time this week he's brought me work.
蘇西:嗯,今天已經是他這個禮拜第三次把工作丟給我了。
Suzie: I've tried to tell Frank how I feel. But he never listens. Everything I say seems to go in one ear and out the other
.
蘇西:我試過告訴法蘭克我的感受,但他就是不聽。我說的每句話似乎都是左耳進右耳出。
Harvey: Hmmm.
哈維:嗯。
Suzie: He seems so friendly and agreeable
about everything. But then he keeps on doing exactly what bugs me.
蘇西:感覺上他是那麼的友善,凡事又很隨和。但是他就會做出讓我頭大的事。
Harvey: Maybe I should talk to him.
哈維:或許我該和他談談。
Suzie: Please do, because he sure doesn't listen to me.
蘇西:麻煩您,因為他絕對不會聽我的。
Harvey: OK. I'll call him right away.
哈維:好的,我立刻叫他來。
Suzie: I'm so glad you listen, Mr. Walker.
蘇西:我真高興您能聽我說,沃克先生。
Harvey immediately calls Frank into his office.
哈維立刻把法蘭克叫進他的辦公室裡。
Frank: Yes, Harvey?
法蘭克:有什麼事嗎,哈維?
Harvey: I wonder if you could stop giving work to Suzie, Frank. She's busy enough already.
哈維:不知道你是否可以別再把工作交給蘇西。法蘭克,她已經夠忙的了。
Frank: She is? Why didn't she tell me?
法蘭克:她是嗎?為什麼她不告訴我呢?
Harvey: She tried. Maybe it didn't sink in
.
哈維:她試過,但你沒聽進去。
Frank: I guess not. Sorry, Harvey.
法蘭克:我猜是沒有,對不起,哈維。
Harvey: That's OK, Frank. No harm
done. But may I share something that will help you in the future?
哈維:沒關係,法蘭克,沒造成什麼傷害。但是,我能告訴你一些或許將來對你有幫助的事嗎?
Frank: Please do.
法蘭克:請說。
Harvey: "Managing" is much more than simply telling people what to do. Good managers understand people. Do you know how they do that?
哈維:「管理」不僅僅是告訴別人做什麼事。好的管理者了解人性。你知道他們怎麼做到的嗎?
Frank: Um, by listening?
法蘭克:呃,靠傾聽嗎?
Harvey: Bingo! By listening carefully, with the heart. Do you hear what I'm saying?
哈維:答對了!用心留意傾聽。你聽到我說的話了嗎?
Frank: Loud and clear
, Harvey. Thanks.
法蘭克:非常清楚,哈維,謝謝!
@ word bank  interruption (n) 干擾;打斷
      stack (n)    堆
      file (v)    歸檔
      have something coming out of one's ears (idiom) 事情太多
      bother (v)    困擾
      go in one ear and out the other (idiom) 左耳進,右耳出
      agreeable (adj)    令人愉快的;隨和的
      bug (v)    惹人厭煩;使煩惱
      sink in (v phr) 被了解
      harm (n)    傷害
      loud and clear (adv phr) 非常清楚
 
@ The Day's Phrase
My company pays my salary by direct deposit.
我的公司是直接把薪水存到我的帳戶裡。
Five Asian adventures you won't want to miss!
不可錯過的亞洲五大冒險旅程!
This year Kelly is saving up her money to buy a new car.
凱莉今年要存錢買部新車。
Unfortunately, the interest rate on Bill's savings account is very low.
很不幸,比爾的存款帳戶利息利率很低。
Justin tries to cook for his friends. But can he really cook?
賈斯汀試著為朋友烹調料理,但他真的行嗎?
The bank teller helped me to open up a new savings account.
銀行櫃員協助我開立一個新的存款帳戶。
What denomination would you like: 100, 500 or 1000-dollar bills?
您要哪種面額的鈔票?一百、五百還是一千的?
What is the current exchange rate between US dollars and NT dollars?
目前美金與新台幣的匯率是多少呢?

沒有留言:

張貼留言