2013年4月7日 星期日

I’m gonna think about it. 各種敷衍別人的方法‏

每日 EZ Word 
You’re cutting in and out. 你的聲音斷斷續續的。
這句話常用在講電話的對話中,當收訊不好或其他原因而導致聲音一下聽得清楚一下聽不清楚時,可以用這句來形容斷斷續續的狀況。

A: Hello? Hello? You’re cutting in and out....
喂?喂?你的聲音斷斷續續的……
B: The reception here is really bad. Let me call you back in a minute.
這裡的收訊真的很差。我等一下再打給你。
guilty as a cat in a fishbowl 罪證確鑿
fishbowl是玻璃魚缸的意思,當有一隻貓卡在魚缸裡,可想而知魚的下場一定是進貓的肚子裡了。所以這裡的意思就是引申為人贓俱獲、罪證確鑿的意思。

A: Are you sure Ralph is cheating on his wife?
你確定雷夫對他太太不忠?
B: He’s guilty as a cat in a fishbowl. I saw him checking into a hotel with his secretary.
他根本就是罪證確鑿了。我看到他和他的秘書一起在飯店辦住宿登記。
follow in someone’s footsteps 步某人後塵,效法某人
footstep 顧名思義即為「腳步,步伐」,而 follow in someone's footsteps 就是追隨某人的腳步、步上某人的後塵。

A: You’re going to art school? I thought your dad wanted to you study medicine.
你要去讀藝術?我以為你老爸要你去唸醫科。
B: Yeah, but I don’t want to follow in his footsteps.
是沒錯,但我不想要跟他走一樣的路。
viral hit 爆紅
viral 表示「病毒的」,hit表示「受歡迎的人事物」,viral hit 多半指的是透過網路散佈流傳,如同病毒般迅速蔓延而開始走紅,也就是「爆紅」的意思。

A: Why was Paranormal Activity so popular?
為什麼《靈動:鬼影實錄》這麼受歡迎?
B: An Internet marketing campaign turned it into a viral hit.
網路行銷活動讓這部片爆紅。
完全臣服,百依百順
have someone wrapped around one’s little finger 完全臣服,百依百順
讓某人心甘情願被綁在手指上任意操控,也就是完全臣服的意思,若是用在男女感情關係上,則是指某人被對方吃得死死、百依百順。

A: How do you know your boyfriend will buy you a car?
妳怎麼知道妳男朋友會買車給妳?
B: Because I have him wrapped around my little finger.
因為他對我百依百順。
今日會話 EZ Talk 

Nancy: Tom is such a 1)jerk. He 2)racked up this huge debt on my credit card.
南希:湯姆真是一個混蛋!他還用我的卡積了一大筆卡債。
Cindy:  Wow, that 3)sucks. You should take him to court.
辛蒂:哇,爛透了!妳應該要告他!
Nancy: I can’t. He’s such a con artist. He’s fled the country. He ran off to Spain with a waitress he worked with at the bar.
南希:告不了了,他是個花言巧語的騙子。他已經逃出境了,跟一起在酒吧工作的女侍跑到西班牙去了。
Cindy:  God, what a creep. I’m so sorry.
辛蒂:天啊!真是個卑鄙小人!我很遺憾。
Nancy: So I was wondering if you could help me out. I need to borrow….
南希:所以我在想說可不可以請妳幫個忙。我想要跟妳借……
Cindy:  Nancy? You’re cutting in and out…I’m going through a tunnel…. Hello? Hello? [hangs up]
辛蒂:南希?妳的聲音斷斷續續的…… 我現在要進隧道了…… 喂?喂?[掛斷]
Adam: I can’t believe this 1)scumbag. He should get life in prison for what he’s done!
亞當:我實在不敢相信居然有這種卑鄙小人!他應該要為他的所作所為去坐一輩子牢。
Kenny: So you think he’s 2)guilty?
肯尼:所以你覺得他有罪囉?
Adam: Of course! It’s completely obvious. You can’t tell me that he’s innocent!
亞當:當然!這非常明顯!你該不會覺得他是清白的吧?
Kenny: I’m not so 3)convinced, bro. Sometimes things aren’t like they seem.
肯尼:我不是那麼確定,老兄!有些時候事情不是表面上看起來的那樣。
Adam: Gimme a break. If not him, then who? He’s guilty as a cat in a fishbowl.
亞當:得了吧!如果不是他,還會是誰?他根本就是罪證確鑿。
Kenny:  I’m not going to 4)comment. We’ll just see how the case 5)unfolds.
肯尼:我不予置評。我們就等著看事情會怎麼發展吧。
Adam: Yeah, we’ll see.
亞當:是啊,等著看吧!
Paul: OK, so you’re saying the 1)monitors aren’t functioning correctly?
保羅:好,所以你是說那些顯示器沒辦法正常運作嗎?
Marsha: Yes. Nearly half of the last 2)shipment is basically useless. And they’re all models that are 3)manufactured at your new Malaysian factory.
瑪莎:對。上次那批貨幾乎有一半基本上都不能用,而且都是在你們的馬來西亞新工廠生產的。
Paul: There have been a few 4)issues with the new factory. We’re in the middle of investigating it. Oh, hold on. I have another call.
保羅:那個新工廠一直有些問題,我們正在調查中。哦,等一下,我有一個插撥。
Marsha: OK.
瑪莎:好。
Paul: Sorry about that. I’m going to have my secretary find out more details from you and I’ll call you back. I have to take this call. It’s urgent.
保羅:抱歉,我會請我的秘書向妳詢問其他細節,然後我會再回電給妳。我必須接這通電話,很緊急。
Marsha:  Make sure to call me by Friday. We need to get this 5)resolved.
瑪莎:一定要在星期五之前打電話給我,我們必須解決這個問題。
Paul: Of course. I’ll talk to you soon.
保羅:當然,我很快就會跟妳聯絡。
Carol: Robert, who wrote these notes? I can’t read them. I think it says we need to order more water for the employee lounge.
卡蘿:羅伯特,這些便條是誰寫的啊?我根本看不懂。我想上面是說我們得幫員工休息室多訂一些水?
Marsha: Carol, I’m trying to get this report out. It’s due in ten minutes. And I’m going to be late for a meeting.
羅伯特:卡蘿,我現在正在趕報告。再十分鐘就是期限了,而且我開會要遲到了。
Carol: OK. Just a few quick questions, though. Do you think I should take the new client to the steakhouse on highway 5 or that place we went to last time?
卡蘿:哦,好。但再讓我很快問幾個問題。你覺得我應該帶新客戶去五號高速公路那家牛排店,還是我們上次去的那個地方?
Marsha: We’ll worry about that later, Carol.
羅伯特:我們待會再來傷腦筋吧,卡蘿。
Clerk:  That’s just in. The color is perfect for you. Would you like to try it on?
店員:這是剛進的新貨,顏色剛好適合妳,妳要不要試穿看看?
Juliet: Well, I do like this dress, but….
茱麗葉:嗯,我是很喜歡這件洋裝啦,但是……
Clerk: We’re actually having a 10% off sale today, so these are going to sell fast.
店員:其實我們今天有九折的特惠,所以這些很快就會賣掉。
Juliet: Let me think about it.
茱麗葉:讓我考慮一下。
Clerk: I could hold it for you if you’d like. We can hold it for up to 24 hours.
店員:如果妳要的話,我可以幫妳保留。我們最多可以保留二十四小時。
Juliet: That won’t be necessary. But thanks so much for your help.
茱麗葉:不必了,但還是謝謝妳的幫忙。
今日EZ單字 
jerk (n.) 蠢人,混蛋
That jerk hit my car and didn’t even stop!
那個混蛋撞到我的車還不停下來!
rack up (phr.) 累積
Our team racked up 60 points in Friday’s game.
我們的隊伍在週五的比賽累積到六十分。
suck (v.) 爛、遜,令人討厭
Our soccer team used to suck, but they’re much better now.
我們足球隊以往表現很糟,但現在大有進步。
scumbag (n.) 討厭鬼,卑鄙的人
I can’t believe that scumbag abandoned his wife and kids!
我不敢相信那個卑鄙小人竟然拋妻棄子!
guilty (a.) 有罪的,內疚的
The court found the man guilty of murder.
法院判定這名男子謀殺罪嫌成立。
convinced (a.) 堅信的
Mary was convinced that what she saw was a ghost, not a shadow!
瑪莉堅信她看到的是鬼,不是影子!
comment (v.) 發表意見,評論
The official refused to comment on the scandal.
這名官員拒絕對這起醜聞發表言論。
unfold (v.) 展開,呈現
As the story unfolds, we learn that the main character is not who he seems.
隨著故事發展,我們發現主角不是表面看來的那樣。monitor (n.) 顯示器,監視器
I don’t see our connecting flight on the monitor.
我在螢幕上沒看到我們的接駁班機號碼。
shipment (n.) 裝運,裝載的貨物
Your shipment should arrive sometime next week.
你的貨應該會在下週送達。
manufacture (v.) 製造
All of our products are manufactured in China.
我們所有產品都是中國製。
issue (n.) 問題,爭論
Let’s get back to the issue at hand.
我們繼續回來討論現在的問題。
resolve (v.) 解決
The couple resolved their differences and decided to stay together.
這對情侶解決了他們之間的歧異,決定繼續在一起。

沒有留言:

張貼留言