Pete: I think that maybe we could register our marriage first, and then have a wedding ceremony in a church followed by a reception somewhere after. Pete:我認為我們可以先公證結婚、在教堂舉行婚禮,然後在找個地方辦婚宴。
Lily: That sounds good to me.
Lily:我覺得這樣還不錯。
Pete: I'll talk to the minister and ask him about reserving the church.
Pete:我會先請牧師替我們預留教堂時間。
Lily: Great. I think that we should just exchange our wedding vows in some quaint chapel with guests from your side of the family since my relatives aren't Christian.
Lily:很好,我想,既然我的親人都不是基督徒,我們應該在你家人及賓客見證下,在某座典雅的小教堂裡交換婚禮誓言。
Pete: Sure. I think that's a great idea.
Pete:好啊,我覺得這是個很棒的主意。
Lily: I've been to a civil ceremony before. I really thought it was cheesy.
Lily:我之前去參加過公證婚禮,我覺得那種方式不是很好。
Pete: Maybe we can just invite your parents then.
Pete:也許我們可以邀請你的父母。
Lily: Yeah. I think that we need a couple of witnesses.
Lily:嗯,我認為我們需要很多見證人。
Pete: So that settles it! We can have two ceremonies so that everyone will be satisfied!
Pete:那就這麼辦吧!我們可以舉行兩場婚禮,讓大家都滿意。
Lily: All we have to do now is decide where to have the wedding reception.
Lily:我們現在要做的就是決定在哪舉辦婚宴。
Pete: Yeah. That's going to be comical having a reception room filled with Taiwanese and Americans who don't understand each other.
Pete:是啊,到時婚宴廳擠滿了彼此不認識的台灣人及美國人會很好笑。
Lily: It will be up to us to break the language barrier!
Lily:那就看我們怎麼來突破語言的隔閡囉!
重要字詞講解: |
1. registry office (n.) 戶籍登記處 例:Pete, an American, and his fiancee Lily, a Taiwanese, are discussing whether they should get married in a church or have a civil ceremony at the local registry office. (美國人 Pete 和他台灣未婚妻 Lily 正討論他們是否在教堂或是當地區公所舉行公證結婚。) 例:When was the registry office built? (這間戶籍登記處建於何時?) 2. quaint (adj.) 古雅的 例:I think that we should just exchange our wedding vows in some quaint chapel with guests from your side of the family since my relatives aren't Christian. (我認為既然我親戚都不是基督徒的話,那我們應該在你家人及賓客見證下在某座典雅小教堂交換婚禮誓言。) 例:She lives in a quaint little house. (她住在一幢別緻的小房子裡。) 3. chapel (n.) (附屬於大教堂的)小禮拜堂 例:I think that we should just exchange our wedding vows in some quaint chapel with guests from your side of the family since my relatives aren't Christian. (我認為既然我親戚都不是基督徒的話,那我們應該在你家人及賓客見證下在某座典雅小教堂交換婚禮誓言。) 例:He goes to that chapel often. (他常去那座小禮拜堂。) 4. witness (n.) 見證人 例:I think that we need a couple of witnesses. (我認為我們需要很多見證人。) 例:He was a witness to the argument. (他是那場爭論的見證人。) 5. minister (n.) 牧師 例:I'll talk to the minister and ask him about reserving the church. (我會先請牧師替我們預留教堂時間。) 例:The minister witnessed their wedding ceremony. (這位牧師見證了他們的婚禮。) 小試身手 In that _____ _____, a wedding ceremony was held yesterday. The _____ was one of the _____. (在那座典雅的小教堂裡,昨天舉行了一場婚禮。這位牧師是其中的一名見證人。) 請 先 練 習 再 看 解 答 ☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆ 解答 In that quaint chapel, a wedding ceremony was held yesterday. The minister was one of the witnesses. 相關實用句型解析 1. 要怎樣做,看某人自己 It's up to sb. to-V. 例:It will be up to us to break the language barrier! (那就看我們怎麼來突破語言的隔閡囉!) 例::It's up to you to break the ice in the blind date. (相親時就看你怎麼打破尷尬場面囉!) ※ 小叮嚀:: 句首的 It 為虛主詞,真正的主詞為後面的不定詞(片語)。 2. 某人要做的就是... All sb. has to do is (to) + V. 例:All we have to do now is decide where to have the wedding reception. (我們現在要做的就是決定在哪舉辦婚宴。) 例:All you have to do now is get a good sleep. (你現在要做就是好好睡一覺。) 小試身手 1. 看你自己怎麼去追求她。 _____________________________________________________________________ 2. 他現在要做的就是開始培養人才。_____________________________________________________________________ 請 先 練 習 再 看 解 答 ☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆ 解答 1. It's up to you to woo her. 2. All he has to do now is begin cultivating talents. |
Joy: One of my colleagues from India just got married and she was telling me about the wedding traditions in India.Joy:我一個剛結婚的同事來自印度,她跟我講過印度傳統的婚禮。
Greg: Speaking of India, why don't we go to the Indian buffet for lunch!
Greg:提到印度,我們午餐乾脆去吃印度料理好了!
Joy: All you ever think about is your stomach!
Joy:你想到的都是吃!
Greg: Sorry! Please continue your story.
Greg:抱歉!請繼續說故事。
Joy: She told me that money, eggs and sweets were woven into the wedding themes of India. They symbolize, respectively, a sweet life, fertility and prosperity.
Joy:她告訴我印度婚禮的主題有「錢、蛋和糖果」,它們分別代表美好的生活、早生貴子以及事業發達。
Greg: I know that the brides are painted in some form of body art.
Greg:我知道新娘的身上會塗上某種形式的藝術花紋 。
Joy: That's right! She showed me some photos of her hands and feet painted with henna in a beautiful paisley pattern.
Joy:沒錯!她給我看了一些她的手腳用染料塗上花紋的美麗照片。
Greg: Was it an arranged marriage?
Greg:那是父母做主的婚姻嗎?
Joy: Yes. But she said that she was very happy with her parents' choice.
Joy:是啊,但她說她很滿意她父母的選擇。
Greg: That's nuts! I couldn't imagine having my parents pick out a bride for me.
Greg:真是瘋了!我不能想像我的新娘子是父母替我選的。
Joy: Same here. I guess that there's no "puppy love" or "love at first sight" in India.
Joy:我也是。我想印度是沒有所謂的「情竇初開的戀情」或是「一見鍾情」吧。
Greg: Yup.............. How about we go to the buffet now. I feel like eating chicken curry.
Greg:嗯…… 我們何不現在去吃自助餐?我想吃咖哩雞。
Joy: Okay. Was that your stomach growling?
Joy:好吧。你的肚子開始叫了嗎?
| ||
Luke: I wonder if my Canadian friends are going to throw a bachelor party for me.Luke:不知道我加拿大的朋友會不會幫我辦一場告別單身的派對。
Molly: Men don't have bachelor parties in Taiwan. What do you usually do at a bachelor party anyway?
Molly:台灣男人沒有告別單身的派對耶,你們在這種派對上都做些什麼事呢?
Luke: Well..........the groom-to-be and all of his closest buddies usually rent a bus and then go out to a strip club. Everyone usually gets loaded and sometimes they even rent hotel rooms and only get home the next day.
Luke:嗯….. 準新郎和他親近的好友通常會租一輛巴士,然後前往脫衣舞夜總會,每個人都會喝很多,有時候甚至需要住旅館,然後隔天就回家了。
Molly: Are you serious?
Molly:你是講真的嗎?
Luke: Yeah. I've been to many bachelor parties back home.
Luke:是啊,我在家鄉就去過許多場單身派對。
Molly: There aren't any strip clubs in Taiwan, and I wouldn't allow you to go even if there were!
Molly:台灣並沒有脫衣舞夜總會,即使真的有,我也不會讓你去!
Luke: I figured that. If I do have a party, I think that we'll just get together one night and have a few cold ones.
Luke:我知道,假使我要舉辦一場派對,我想我們只是在晚上聚一聚,然後喝幾杯囉。
Molly: That sure is a strange pre-wedding tradition.
Molly:這真是個奇怪的婚前傳統。
Luke: I don't think so. Male bonding is important in our society. What about here in Taiwan?
Luke:我不這麼認為。男人的友誼在我們社會中扮演重要角色,那台灣這邊都做些什麼呢?
Molly: Well.............we send boxes of wedding cookies to our guests before the wedding and sometimes we have engagement parties.
Molly:嗯….我們會在結婚前寄喜餅給我們的賓客,有時候也會舉辦訂婚派對。
Luke: Oh well. Everyone does things differently!
Luke:噢,好吧,每個人的做事方式都不同!
重要字詞講解: |
1. bachelor party (n.) 【美】(尤指婚禮前夕為新郎舉行的)單身漢舞會 例:I wonder if my Canadian friends are going to throw a bachelor party for me. (我想知道我的加拿大朋友會不會幫我辦一場告別單身派對。) 例:Men don't have bachelor parties in Taiwan. (台灣男人沒有告別單身派對。) 2. strip club (n.) 脫衣舞夜總會 例:The groom-to-be and all of his closest buddies usually rent a bus and then go out to a strip club. (準新郎和他親近的好友通常會租一輛巴士,然後前往上空酒吧。) 例:Did he go to a strip club last night? (他昨晚去上空酒吧嗎?) 3. bonding (n.) (人際)結成特別關係 例:Male bonding is important in our society. (男人情誼在我們社會中扮演重要角色。) 例:They're in the bar again doing some male bonding! (他們又在酒吧裡稱兄道弟聯絡感情了。) 4. differently (adv.) 不同地 例:Everyone does things differently! (每個人的做事方式都不同!) 例:Graduates need to look at work differently. (畢業生需要以不同的方式看待工作。) 5. groom-to-be (n.) 準新郎 例:The groom-to-be and all of his closest buddies usually rent a bus and then go out to a strip club. (準新郎和他親近的好友通常會租一輛巴士,然後前往上空酒吧。) 例:Don is the groom-to-be. (Don 是準新郎。) 小試身手 The _____'s friends are going to throw a _____ _____ for him. They will go to a _____ _____. (準新郎的朋友將為他舉辦一個單身派對。他們將去脫衣舞廳。) 請 先 練 習 再 看 解 答 ☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆ 解答 The groom-to-be's friends are going to throw a bachelor party for him. They will go to a strip club. 相關實用句型解析 1. 舉辦派對 to throw a party 例:I wonder if my Canadian friends are going to throw a bachelor party for me. (我想知道我加拿大的朋友會不會幫我辦一場告別單身的派對。) 例:We're throwing a big party for our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. (我們將辦一場結婚 25 週年的紀念派對。) ※ 小叮嚀:: 這裡的動詞 throw 可以用 give、have、host 等取代。 2. 允許某人去做某事 to allow sb. to do sth. 例:There aren't any strip clubs in Taiwan, and I wouldn't allow you to go even if there were! (台灣並沒有脫衣舞夜總會,即使真的有,我也不會讓你去!) 例:She only allows the children to watch television on the weekends. (他只允許小孩在週末的時候看電視。) ※ 小叮嚀:: 動詞 allow 可作「授予動詞」,如 "The prisoners are not allowed visitors."(這些囚犯禁止會客。) 小試身手 1. 我在他生日那天為他舉辦一場驚奇派對。 _____________________________________________________________________ 2. 不幸的是,他們不允許我解釋我這個決定背後的想法。_____________________________________________________________________ 請 先 練 習 再 看 解 答 ☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆ 解答 1. It was his birthday and I'd throw a surprise party for him. 2. Unfortunately, they didn't allow me to explain the thinking behind my decision. |
沒有留言:
張貼留言