2013年5月18日 星期六

4th of July 美國國慶‏

每日 EZ Word 
I’m kind of torn. 我拿不定主意。
torn 是 tear「撕裂」的過去分詞,用來形容意見分歧、無法決定的狀況。
have one’s cake and eat it too 兩全其美
想要手上有蛋糕,又想要吃了它,這種左右為難又想要兩全其美的狀況,等同中文常見的「魚與熊掌豈能兼得」。
Can you say…? 可以說……了嗎?
這句子看似在問對方的看法,其實是在表示自己對一件事的感想。
know one’s way around… 對……很行
know one’s way around 加上地方,表示對一個地方很熟,在那邊過得很自在。若是加上事物,就表示具備足夠的知識,很清楚那件事物運作的方式。
Only the best! 只用最好的!
對話中,Carol 的爸爸用這句話回應 Jack 對他的烤肉工具的奉承,是在表示「除了最好的,其餘免談」的自豪。如果要說「只給某人最好的」,就在 only the best 後面加「for 某人」即可。
Saved by the bell! 我得救了!
遇到想逃之夭夭的情況,正不知要如何脫身,突然電話、電鈴、水壺氣笛響,或是有人找你,你就可以跳起來大呼 Saved by the bell!
This is what…is all about. 這就是……的精神之所在。
另一個常聽到的說法是 That’s what friends are for.「朋友就是應該要這樣。」兩句都是用倒裝句表示強調語氣。
at an impasse 陷入僵局,面臨死路
impasse 表示「死路,僵局」,而 at an impasse 則解釋為雙方陷入僵局、走入死胡同的窘境。
今日會話 EZ Talk 

Jack: Sure. I forgot to tell you that we were invited to the Jewish 1)Community Center by one of my students.
傑克:好啊。我忘記告訴妳,我的一個學生邀我們去猶太社區中心。
Carol: I thought you wanted to go to the celebration at the Chinese Cultural Center.
卡蘿:我以為你想去參加中國文化中心的慶祝活動。
Jack: I’m kind of torn. I wanna go to both.
傑克:我有點拿不定主意,我兩邊都想去。
Carol: Well, I guess we could 2)swing that.
卡蘿:嗯,我想我們應該辦得到。
Jack: Only if you’re up to it, though. I was thinking we could just 3)drop by the Jewish Community Center and see what it’s like.
傑克:但妳身體狀況允許才要。我原本只是想順道繞過去瞄一下猶太社區中心的活動是什麼樣子。
Carol: Sure. But we’re not 4)converting.
卡蘿:好啊。但我們可不改信猶太教喔。
Jack: Ha-ha. Don’t worry—I like Christmas too much.
傑克:哈哈。別擔心——我太愛耶誕節了。
Carol: While my water is running, let’s make a list for our family 1)get-together.
卡蘿:放洗澡水的時候,我們來列一張家庭聚會需要的購物清單。
Jack: OK. Let me guess. We need hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, potatoes and watermelon.
傑克:好啊,讓我來猜猜看。我們需要漢堡、熱狗、洋芋片、馬鈴薯和西瓜。
Carol: Spoken like a true 2)patriot. My dad also likes to grill chicken, and my mom likes to have grilled veggies on 3)skewers and a cheese plate.
卡蘿:聽起來非常愛國。我爸還喜歡烤雞,我媽喜歡吃串烤蔬菜和綜合乳酪盤。
Jack: Sounds pretty gourmet for the 4th.
傑克:國慶吃這麼好。
Carol: Yeah. Grandma’s happy with just hot dogs and baked beans.
卡蘿:是啊。外婆只要有熱狗和什錦焗豆就開心了。
 At the grocery store
在超市裡
Jack: Can you say…red, white and blue?
傑克:還真是……鋪天蓋地的紅、白、藍啊。
Carol: Wow, talk about overkill….
卡蘿:嘩,這就蠻誇張的……。
Jack: I can just imagine the factory workers in China mocking us while they make all this 1)crap.
傑克:我能想像中國工廠裡的工人製造這堆破爛東西時,一定一邊嘲笑我們。
Carol: Hey! Show some 2)allegiance! Grab a pack of those red plastic 3)sporks.
卡蘿:嘿!表現一點對美國的忠誠吧!那邊的紅色塑膠湯匙叉去拿一包來。
Jack: Should we get these patriotic paper plates and cups?
傑克:我們該買這種愛國的紙盤和紙杯嗎?
Carol: Go for it. And how about that fireworks 4)tablecloth?
卡蘿:你就拿吧。那種煙火圖案的桌布哩?
Jack: Hmm, that’s a little 5)over the top. I think this Uncle Sam beer bucket is much more 6)tasteful.
傑克:嗯,有點太過火了。我覺得這個山姆大叔啤酒冰鎮桶有品味多了。
The 4th of July, at Carol’s parents’ house
七月四日,在卡蘿的父母家
Dad: How’s my favorite son-in-law?
爸爸:我最鍾愛的女婿最近還好吧?
Jack: Great. How are you, Dad?
傑克:好得很。你呢,老爹?
Dad: Are you ready for your 1)initiation? Once you can grill good meat on the 4th of July, you’re a real American!
爸爸:準備好要接受你的入會儀式了嗎?只要能在七月四日烤出好肉,你就成為真正的美國人了!
Jack: Well, I don’t really know my way around a grill….
傑克:呃,我其實不太知道要怎麼烤肉……。
Dad: No worries. But you will need to take an 2)oath to protect our family grilling secrets. Do you swear to keep them secret?
爸爸:沒什麼好擔心的。但你得發誓保守我們家烤肉的祕訣。你發誓會守密嗎?
Jack: I swear.
傑克:我發誓。
Dad: Now these meats are all marinated, each in their own special sauce, for 12 to 24 hours.
爸爸:這些肉都醃好了,每種都是用專屬的獨門醬料,醃十二至二十四小時。
Jack: Wow. They must be packed with flavor.
傑克:哇!一定很入味。
Dad: We grill at a high temperature to 1)sealthe juices in, but you need to be careful not to overcook the meat. That 2)charred stuff causes cancer!
爸爸:我們用高溫燒烤,把肉汁封在裡面,但要小心別把肉烤過頭了,燒焦黑掉的那些東西會致癌!
Jack: Yes, sir. I see you have a professional set of 3)tongs.
傑克:是,遵命。我看你有一整組專業烤肉夾呢。
Dad: Only the best! Now remember, timing is everything. OK, now put the chicken on this side….
爸爸:要就要用最好的!記住,時間掌控最重要。好,把雞肉放在這邊……。
Jack: And the beef goes on this side? It should be medium rare, right?
傑克:然後把牛肉放到這邊嗎?要烤三分熟,對吧?
Dad: See, you learn fast. We like a little blood! Just remember to never mix up the raw meat tongs and the cooked meat tongs.
爸爸:看到了吧,你學得很快。我們喜歡帶點血!只要記住絕對不要把生肉夾跟熟肉夾搞混。
Jack: The smell is amazing. I’m 4)salivating already.
傑克:味道好香喔,我已經口水直流了。
Dad: I like you, son. You’re a carnivore—a real man. OK, this steak is done. Time to put the dogs on!
爸爸:小子,我欣賞你。你是食肉動物——真正的男子漢。好,這塊牛排已經烤好了。輪到熱狗上場了!
Carol: Jack! Stop 1)brown-nosing and come help me make this potato salad!
卡蘿:傑克!別在那兒拍馬屁了,過來幫我做馬鈴薯沙拉!
Jack: Yes, dear. Man are you acting 2)bossy….
傑克:遵命,親愛的。天啊,妳還真霸道……。
Carol: Sorry. I guess it’s the 3)hormones. Here, stir this up and then put it in that 4)serving bowl.
卡蘿:抱歉。我猜是賀爾蒙的關係吧。拿去,把這個拌一拌,然後放到那個上菜用的碗裡。
Jack: But honey, I was learning the art of grilling from your dad.
傑克:但是親愛的,我剛剛正在跟妳爸學烤肉的藝術。
Carol: You can do that too—after you get that potato salad on the table.
卡蘿:也成——你把馬鈴薯沙拉端上桌再去。
Jack: Yes, dear. Oh! Saved by the bell! Your dad’s calling me. And I’m done! 5)Bam! The potato salad is served!
傑克:遵命,親愛的。喔!來得正好!妳爸在叫我。我拌好沙拉了。砰!馬鈴薯沙拉上桌了!
Dad: How’s the father-to-be? Need some advice? Just say yes to everything she says, or you’ll pay for it later.
爸爸:準爸爸還好吧?需要什麼忠告嗎?反正她說什麼你都答應就是了,不然你之後就會嚐到苦頭了。
Jack: Ha-ha. Thanks, Dad.
傑克:哈哈。謝了,老爸。
Dad: Now I’m gonna teach you our family’s marinating secrets. But first, another oath. Now place your hand on this hot grill and swear…ha-ha, just kidding!
爸爸:現在我要來教你我們家的醃肉祕方。但是首先,要再發誓一次。把你的手放上熱烤架發誓……哈哈,開玩笑的啦!
Jack: Ha-ha. OK…I, Jack, swear to keep all family 1)recipes in the immediate family, so help me God.
傑克:哈。好……我,傑克,發誓全部的家傳祕方都不會對家人以外的人透露,請上帝幫助我。
Dad: Nice! Now put down that beer and let’s get down to the 2)nitty-gritty. This is what America is all about! Good food, family and fun!
爸爸:非常好!放下那罐啤酒,我們就來講重點。美國就該這樣!好的食物、家庭和歡樂!
Jack: Cheers!
傑克:乾杯!
Carol: Thanks for being OK with just hanging out with my parents today.
卡蘿:謝謝你今天願意陪我爸媽。
Jack: I had a 1)blast. I didn’t miss the other events at all. This is the best 2)barbeque ever!
傑克:我玩得很開心啊。我完全不惦記其他活動。這是最棒的一次烤肉!
Carol: And now you can do it at home for us too!
卡蘿:現在你也可以在家替我們烤肉了!
Jack: Is it firework time? Your cousins are setting up over there. Now that’s what I call fun!
傑克:放煙火的時間到了嗎?你的表弟、表妹在那邊預備了。這才是我覺得好玩的!
Carol: Hold on there, cowboy. You’re about to be a father. I won’t have you risking your life with my crazy cousins and 3)explosives. You’re likely to blow a finger off!
卡蘿:等一下,男子漢。你快當爸爸了。我不想讓你冒著生命危險跟我那些瘋狂的表弟妹及爆裂物在一起,你很可能會炸掉一根手指!
Jack: Yes, dear….
傑克:遵命,寶貝……。
今日EZ單字 
community (n.) 社區,社群,社會
swing (v.) 安排,做到
drop by (phr.) 順道去拜訪
convert (v.) 改變信仰;轉變
get-together (n.) 聚會,family get-together 即「家庭聚會」
patriot (n.) 愛國的人(a.) patriotic 愛國的
skewer (n.) 肉串叉
crap (n.) 爛貨,垃圾
allegiance 對國家、工作、人)忠誠
spork (n.) 湯匙叉,是兼具湯匙 (spoon) 和叉子 (fork) 功用的餐具
tablecloth (n.) 桌巾
over the top (phr.) 誇張,太戲劇化 (a.) over-the-top
tasteful (a.) 有品味的,高雅的
initiation (n.) 傳授啟蒙,入會儀式,開始進行
oath (n.) 誓言 (phr.) take an oath 發誓
seal (v.) 封住,密封
charred (a.) 燒焦變黑的(v.) char [t]3r] 把東西燒焦
tongs (n.) 長夾
brown-nose (v.) 拍馬屁
bossy (a.) 霸道的,跋扈的
hormone (n.) 賀爾蒙
serving (a.) 上菜用的(n.) serve [s-v] 供應(飯菜),端上(食物)
bam (n.) 砰的一聲(形容撞擊或一件事突然發生)
recipe (n.) 食譜,烹調製作法
nitty-gritty (n.) 詳盡細節,重點
hang out (with) (phr.) 與(某人)相伴
barbeque (n.)(以炭火)烤肉。也寫做 barbecue、bar-b-que、bbq
explosive (n./a.) 爆裂物;爆炸(性)的

沒有留言:

張貼留言