2013年5月4日 星期六

迎接新生命‏

每日 EZ Word 
Guess what? 你猜怎麼著。你知道嗎?
Guess what? 看似問句,但其實不真的叫人猜答案,而是在增加懸疑感,要人注意聽好了。
good sport 有風度的人
當我們誇一個人 a good sport ,經常是指他輸得起,或是受到嘲笑不會被惹毛。另一種情況是要請人幫個小忙,就會說 Be a sport and help me move this table, will you?「你人最好了,幫我搬這張桌子,好嗎?」這邊的 sport 就是「討人喜歡的人」的意思。
now that you mention it,…
now that you mention it,… 經你這麼一說,(讓我想到某件事)
now 是發語詞(沒有意義),that 是指對方剛剛所說的話。除了表示對方提醒你某件事,也是將原本話題岔開,插入新話題的好用句。
Nonsense! 胡說!
nonsense 是名詞,意指「無聊的話或舉動,沒價值的東西」,用作感嘆詞則是在斥責別人「胡說八道!」
follow one’s lead
follow one’s lead 聽從某人,模仿、效法某人
lead 可以是「行動上的領導」或「口頭上的指示」。
It’s a cinch. 輕而易舉
cinch 口語表示「很簡單的事,十拿九穩的事」。
Kudos to/on…. 歸功於……,稱讚……
這是用來讚美別人的好用句。kudos [`kjudos] 是名詞「名望,威信」的意思。注意這個字天生字尾帶 s,可別以為這是複數加 s!
at all costs 不計代價
想形容不惜任何代價都要達成目的,就可以用 at all costs 或 at any cost來表示。
今日會話 EZ Talk 

Carol: Guess what? My cousins are 1)throwing me a baby shower!
卡蘿:你猜怎麼著?我的表妹們要幫我辦迎接新生兒的送禮會!
Jack: I never really got what that was. Why’s it called a shower, anyway?
傑克:我一直沒搞懂那是在幹嘛,到底為什麼要叫 shower啊?
Carol: I think it’s because they shower the mother-to-be with gifts.
卡蘿:我想是因為他們會用如大雨般的禮物把準媽媽淹沒吧。
Jack: I guess that makes sense.
傑克:算是言之成理。
Carol: The custom was actually started by a German
2)immigrant in New York.
卡蘿:這項習俗其實源自紐約的德國移民。
Jack: How do you know?
傑克:妳怎麼知道?
Carol: I’ve been 3)researching baby showers online, ’cause I’m not sure how they work.
卡蘿:我已經上網查過送禮會的資料,因為我不知道是怎麼進行的。
Jack: But you’re American. Haven’t you been to one?
傑克:但妳是美國人呀,妳都沒參加過嗎?
Carol: I guess I spent too much time in Taiwan. And most of my friends with babies live somewhere else.
卡蘿:我想我在台灣待太久了吧。而且我有生孩子的朋友大多住在別的地方。
Jack: Well, I’m glad you’re on the receiving end.
傑克:嗯,我很高興妳屬於收禮的一方。
Carol: Me too! My cousins are inviting everyone I know. And there’s going to be all kinds of fun games that have to do with babies and pregnancy.
卡蘿:我也是!我的表妹們邀請了我所有認識的人,屆時會有各種與嬰兒和妊娠有關的好玩遊戲。
Jack: Uh, I guess I’ll be fishing that day….
傑克:呃,看來我那天會去釣魚……。
Carol: You’re on the guest list. Tara said it’s gonna be a
1)coed baby shower.
卡蘿:你也在賓客名單當中。塔拉說這場新生兒送禮會男女都可參加。
Jack: I’m sure the guys are gonna be really into that…NOT!
傑克:我敢說男生一定會非常喜歡……才怪!
Two weeks later, after the baby shower
兩星期後,新生兒送禮會之後
Carol: Thanks
for taking the pics at the shower. They turned out great. Did you have fun?
卡蘿:多謝你在送禮會上拍照。這些照片好棒。你玩得開心嗎?
Jack: I’ve never been 1)teased so much before in my life. Only one other guy shows up…and he’s gay!
傑克:我這輩子沒被虧得這麼厲害過。只有另一個男的到場……他還是個同志!
Carol: You were a good sport. I appreciate it, baby.
卡蘿:你很有風度。我很感激,寶貝。
Jack: And all that 2)breastfeeding 3)paraphernalia…not to mention those
4)weird diaper cakes!
傑克:還有那一大堆哺乳用具……那些尿布餅乾就更不用說了!
Carol: My favorite is the 5)maternity pillow. It’s so 6)cozy.
卡蘿:我個人最喜歡這個孕婦枕,超舒服。
Jack: So you won’t be needing me anymore….
傑克:那妳再也不需要我了……。
Carol: Nonsense! I’ll always need you. In fact, now that you mention it, I need you to help me plan the baby room!
卡蘿:胡說!我永遠都需要你。事實上,經你這麼一說,我需要你幫我規劃嬰兒房!
Jack: Ha-ha. I’m not the American 1)handyman you dream of, dear. I was raised in Taiwan—remember?
傑克:哈哈。我不是妳理想中凡事自己動手的美國男人,寶貝。我是台灣長大的,妳忘啦?
Carol: That’s what the Home & Garden 2)network is for. All those shows can teach you how to be the perfect American man! Now what color do you think we should paint the walls?
卡蘿:那就是「居家庭園頻道」存在的原因。那個頻道的所有節目都能教你成為完美的美國男人!那你覺得我們的牆壁該漆什麼顏色?
Jack: Well, since we don’t know the sex yet, we should pick a
3)gender-4)neutral color. How about yellow?
傑克:這個嘛,因為我們還不知道寶寶的性別,我們應該挑個中性的顏色。黃色如何?
Carol: I was thinking green. Maybe we could 4)combine yellow and green!
卡蘿:我原本想的是綠色。或許我們可以結合黃和綠!
Jack: Two colors in one room? Won’t the baby get confused?
傑克:一間房間兩種顏色?寶寶不會被搞迷糊嗎?
Carol: The DIY decorating book I got at the shower has some great two-tone wall ideas.
卡蘿:我擺在浴室的那本自助修繕裝潢書上,有些很不錯的雙色牆面構想。
Jack: OK. I’ll follow your lead, boss.
傑克:好。悉聽尊令,老闆。
Carol: Ha-ha. Now let’s talk furniture. I want to put the
1)crib in this corner and the changing table over there.
卡蘿:哈哈。接下來談家具。我想把嬰兒床擺在這個角落,換尿布的台子擱到那邊。
Jack: What about the feeding chair?
傑克:哺乳的座位呢?
Carol: It should go in that corner. And we can put in shelves there, and there….
卡蘿:該放在那一角。櫃子可以放這裡、還有那裡……。
Jack: Uh, I think you’re 2)overestimating my handyman skills.
傑克:呃,我看妳太高估我的手藝了。
Carol: Don’t worry. It’s not like you’re doing this
3)for a living. It should be fun.
卡蘿:別擔心。又不是要你靠這行吃飯。會很有意思的。
Jack: Hmm, I guess it’ll be a learning experience.
傑克:嗯,看來我要學的東西可多了。
In the 1)lumber department
Salesperson: What kind of crown 2)molding are you looking for?
店員:你要哪種天花板修飾邊條?
Jack: The easiest kind to put up.
傑克:最容易安裝的。
Salesperson: In that case, you’ll want 3)polyurethane molding with pre-cut corners.
店員:這樣的話,你會想要PU(聚氨酯)邊條和預先裁切好的角木。
Jack: Does it come with instructions?
傑克:有附安裝說明嗎?
Salesperson: No, but I can show you a good website for that. See these corners? They’re a cinch to fit together. When I did our first baby’s room, it took me five days.
店員:沒有,但我可以帶你看一個很好的相關網站。看到這些角木了嗎?組裝起來輕而易舉。想當初我幫老大造嬰兒房時,可花了我五天。
Jack: Don’t scare me.
傑克:你別嚇我。
Salesperson: This stuff is much easier. Good luck, bro!
店員:這玩意兒容易多了。老兄,祝你好運囉!
At the furniture store
在家具店
Carol: Oh! This 1)stork 2)comforter is so adorable! And this one too! I want them all!
卡蘿:喔!這條鸛鳥圖案的小被子好可愛唷!這條也是!我全都想要!
Jack: How much of this stuff is the baby really going to enjoy? And for how long?
傑克:這種東西有多少是寶寶真的享受得到的?而且能用多久啊?
Carol: Jack, this is part of American culture. We don’t go cheap on the baby room.
卡蘿:傑克,這是美國文化的一部份。我們在嬰兒房上花錢不手軟的。
Jack: It just seems like a big waste for a baby—who won’t even know the difference.
傑克:這樣似乎太浪費了,不過就是為了個小嬰兒——他根本無法分辨。
Carol: It’s for the mother, silly. And as long as the mother’s happy, the baby will be happy too.
卡蘿:傻瓜,這是為媽媽買的。只要媽媽開心,寶寶就會開心。
Jack: OK, I get it. Pick your favorite, honey.
傑克:好吧,我懂了。就挑妳最喜歡的吧,寶貝。
One month later, in the baby room
一個月後,在嬰兒房裡
Carol: I love it! I love it! I can’t wait to breastfeed here, change diapers….
卡蘿:我好喜歡!我等不及要在這邊餵奶、換尿布……。
Jack: It did turn out nice. Kudos to the interior designer.
傑克:成果的確相當不錯。這要歸功於室內設計師。
Carol: And the furniture maker! That toy 1)chest is gonna be the envy of all my friends!
卡蘿:還有製作家具的人!那個玩具櫃會讓我的朋友全都嫉妒不已!
Jack: I’m glad you like it, honey. It’s all worth it just to see your glowing face.
傑克:寶貝,真高興妳喜歡。看到妳臉上的光彩,一切都值得了。
Carol: And the crown molding is 2)flawless. This room is magazine worthy! I can’t believe you did this all by yourself!
卡蘿:而且天花板的邊條做得完美無瑕。這個房間有資格登上雜誌!真不敢相信這全都是你自己做的!
Jack: Uh, yeah, about that…your cousins are really helpful guys….
傑克:呃,這個嘛……你的表弟、妹都是很好的幫手……。
今日EZ單字 
throw(v.) 舉行,舉辦
immigrant(n./a.) 移民(的)
research(v./n.) 研究,調查
coed (a.) 男女混合(同校)的
tease (v./n.) 取笑,捉弄
breastfeed (v.) 母乳餵養
paraphernalia (n.) 用具,器具
weird (a.) 奇怪的,怪異的
maternity (a./n.) 孕婦的,產科的;母性,母親的身分
cozy (a.) 舒適的,愜意的
handyman (n.) 精於維修、自己動手做的人,維修工
network (n.) 電視網,廣播(或電視)聯播公司
gender (n.) 性別
neutral (a.) 中立的,中性的。gender-neutral 即「無性別色彩的,不偏某種性別的」crib (n.) 嬰兒床
overestimate (v.) 高估
for a living (phr.)(從事某工作)維生
lumber (n.) 木材,木料
molding (n.)(建)裝飾板條,crown molding 即「天花板的裝飾板條」polyurethane (n.)(化)聚氨脂
stork (n.) 鸛鳥 。傳說中會叼著裹著寶寶的包袱去給媽媽的送子鳥
comforter (n.) 蓋被
chest (n.) 櫃子,櫥
flawless (a.) 完美無瑕的

沒有留言:

張貼留言