2011年6月17日 星期五

Cool Down Conflict 冷靜化解衝突‏

Cool Down Conflict 冷靜化解衝突
Conflict is an unfortunate fact of working life. It isn't easy for people with differing personalities, values and work habits to achieve common goals. This is certainly true at Walker Publications, as Tom Wilson and Monica Smith are about to find out. Tom is bringing Monica what he thinks is exciting news.
工作中,衝突是一件很不幸的事實.對具有不同個性.價值觀及工作習慣的人們來說,一起工作,完成一個共同的工作目標,不是一件容易的事.當然,這在渥克出版社中更不例外,湯姆.威爾森和莫妮卡.史密斯很快就會了解這個事實.湯姆正把一件令他興奮的消息告訴莫妮卡
( knock on door )
敲門
Monica: Oh, hi, Tom. Come in. What's up?
噢,湯姆.進來吧!有什麼事嗎?
Tom: Get this, Monica! I just had lunch with an old college friend. He works for a big 
ad agency, and he really likes our magazines.
聽好,莫妮卡.我剛和一位大學的老朋友一起吃午餐.他在一家很大的廣告公司上班,
她真的很喜歡我們的雜誌
Monica: Smart man.
聰明的男人
Tom: He wants to put ads on all our back covers -- on every magazine we print -- for 
two years!
他要在我們雜誌的封底刊登整頁的廣告--在我們出版的每一本雜誌--整整兩年喔!
Monica: Sounds too good to be true, Tom. Who's the client?
聽起來太棒而不像是真的,湯姆.這個客戶是誰?
Tom: They're big. They use nice, colorful ads. They pay on time.
他們很大.他們所用的廣告都很漂亮,色彩鮮豔.而且他們準時付錢
Monica: Who's the client, Tom?
湯姆,客戶是誰?
Tom: Uh, it's the National Cigarette company.
呃,是全國菸草公司
Monica: A cigarette company? You want to advertise death in our magazines? Tom, 
what on earth are you thinking of?
菸草公司?你想要在我們的雜誌上廣告死亡嗎?湯姆,你到底在想什麼啊?
Tom: Well, the bottom line, of course. This deal will make us a mint!
嗯,當然是利潤啊.這筆生意可以讓我們賺進一大筆錢
Monica: Not if I can help it.
如果我插手的話就一毛錢也不賺
Tom: What? Monica, you know how hard it is to sell those back covers. This is a 
golden opportunity.
什麼?莫妮卡,妳知道把這些封底賣出去有多難.這是個千載難逢的機會
Monica: Not for us, it isn't.
對我們來說,它不是
Tom: Oh, yeah? Who says?
哦,是嗎?誰說的?
Monica: I do.
我說的
Tom: And just who do you think you are?
那妳認為妳是誰啊?
Monica: Who do I think I am? Who do you think you are -- Harvey Walker Jr.? You 
don't get to call the shots on advertising.
我認為我是誰?那你又認為你是誰啊?哈維.渥克的兒子嗎?你無權決定登廣告的
事
Tom: Oh, really? Let's see what Harvey says about this. (storms out of the room ).
哦,真的嗎?我們看看哈維怎麼說(衝出房間)
Monica: Yes, let's. ( picks up the phone and dials ).
好,就這麼辦(拿起電話撥號)
( the phone rings in Harvey's office )
哈維辦公室的電話響了
Harvey: Hello?
喂?
Monica: Harvey, it's monica.
哈維,我是莫妮卡
Harvey: Hi, Monica. Is something wrong?
嗨,莫妮卡.發生什麼事了嗎?
Monica: We just can't advertise cigarettes, Harvey. They cause cancer.
我們決不能登香菸的廣告,哈維.它們會致癌
Harvey: What cigarettes? What are you talking about?
什麼香菸?妳在說什麼啊?
Monica: Tom has this buddy who... ( Tom walks into Harvey's office )
湯姆有個好友他... 湯姆走進哈維辦公室
Harvey: Yes, He's here now. Tom, I mean.
是,他在這裡
Monica: Don't listen to him, Harvey. Money isn't everything.
別聽他的,哈維.金錢不是一切
Tom: This is a great deal, Harvey.
這是筆大生意,哈維
Harvey: Tom, please sit down. ( into the phone ) Monica, come up here, please.
湯姆,請坐(對著電話)莫妮卡,請上來這裡
Monica: I'll be right there. Don't listen to him.
我馬上來.別聽他的! 
In Harvey's office, Tom and Monica continue bickering. Their voices grow louder and angrier.
在哈維的辦公室裡,湯姆和莫妮卡繼續爭吵著.他們的聲音愈來愈大且愈來愈生氣
Harvey: Hold it! ( the arguing stops ) This is getting out of hand. Now, can either of you 
suggest why?
停!(爭吵停止)你們已經吵翻了.現在,有誰能說說看是為什麼?
Monica: Sure. It's because Tom insists on doing things his way.
當然.因為湯姆堅持照她的意思來做
Tom: No, no. It's because Monica always wants the final word.
不,不.那市因為莫妮卡總爭著要做最後決定
Harvey: Actually, you're both right -- and wrong. Because neither of you has the 
authority to decide, you're relying on aggression to get your way. But that just 
causes more conflict.
事實上,你們兩個都對,也都錯了.因為你們沒有一個人有權來做決定,你們只是靠
攻擊別人來達到你們的目的,那只會造成更多衝突
Tom: Well, I know this is a good deal, but maybe I'm being too bull - headed about it. 
Sorry, Monica.
我知道這是一筆好生意,但是或許我是太頑固了一點.對不起,莫妮卡
Monica: Me, too. I shouldn't get so uptight. After all, the final decision is Harvey's. Uh,
by the way, Harvey, have you made a decision yet?
我也是.我不該那麼緊張.畢竟,最後的決定權還是在哈維.呃,對了,哈維,您做決定
了嗎?
Harvey: I don't need to. ( smiling ) You see, at lunchtime I sold all our back covers.
For three years.
我不需要(微笑)知道嗎,午餐的時候我把我們所有的封底都賣出去了,三年
Tom: You did? Great! Who's the client, Harvey?
真的嗎?太好了!哈維,那客戶是誰?
Harvey: Well, they're big. They use nice, colorful ads. And they pay on time.
嗯,他們是大公司,他們也用很美,色澤鮮艷的廣告.而且他們準時付錢
Monica: Harvey.... ( laughter )
哈維........(笑聲) 
 
 
 
 
@work band
conflict (n.) 衝突;爭執
personality (n.) 個性
cigarette (n.) 香菸
bottom line (n. phr) <帳本>底線
a mint (n. phr) 一大筆錢
a golden opportunity (n. phr) 千載難逢的機會
caal the shots (v. phr) 發號司令
storm (v.) 大聲作響地衝出
cancer (n.) 癌症
buddy (n.) 朋友
bicker (v.) 拌嘴;吵架
get out of hand (v. phr) 失控
aggression (n.) 侵犯;侵害
bull- headed (adj.) 固執的
 
 
 
@The Day's Phrase
The pay is low, but there are good opportunities for advancement.
那裡的薪水很低,但是卻有很好的發展機會
Have you considered trying an employment agency?
你有沒有考慮過找職業仲介?
Sometimes it helps to have connections when looking for a good job.
有時候有認識的熟人,有助於找到好工作
Is haveing a dream always a good thing?
有夢"總是"件好事嗎?
I set up an interview with the law firm for next Wednesday at 2:00.
下週三下午兩點,我安排去那家法律事務所面試
We need to see two letters of reference from your previous employers.
我們需要兩封您過去雇主所寫的推荐信
They are willing to negotiate your starting salary.
他們願意跟你討論起薪

沒有留言:

張貼留言