2011年6月18日 星期六

Destination:Israel 前進以色列‏

Dialogue A 
Jason and his roommate, Linda, are in the living room.
傑森和他的室友琳達正在客廳。
Jason:Do you want to rent a DVD tonight?
傑 森:妳今晚想不想租片DVD來看?
Linda:Sorry, I'm occupied with planning my trip to Israel.
琳 達:不好意思,我正忙著計劃我的以色列之旅。
Jason:Why are you going there?
傑 森:妳為什麼要去那裡?
Linda:My family lives in Israel and I'm eager to celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas with them this year.
琳 達:我的家人住在以色列,所以我今年很想跟他們一起慶祝光明節和聖誕節。
Jason:I didn't know you were Jewish.
傑 森:我不知道妳是猶太人。
Linda:Actually, I'm only half Jewish. I guess that's why I celebrate both.
琳 達:其實我是半個猶太人,我想這就是我兩個節日都慶祝的原因。
Dialogue B 
Jason:Which holiday do you like better?
傑 森:妳比較喜歡哪個節日?
Linda:It's really hard to say. Hanukkah is more meaningful to me, but I also enjoy giving presents to my friends for Christmas.
琳 達:很難說。光明節對我來說比較有意義,但我也喜歡送聖誕禮物給我的朋友。
Jason:So you have two holidays at the end of the year. Sounds like a lot of fun.
傑 森:所以年底妳會過兩個假日。聽起來好好玩。
Linda:It is. Being side by side with my friends and family always makes me very happy.
琳 達:的確。跟親朋好友聚在一起總是令我很開心。
Jason:When you come back, you'll have to fill me in on your trip.
傑 森:回來時,妳得好好跟我說妳這趟旅遊的事。

Building Your Vocabulary

1.rent vt. 租用
Do you know where I can rent a car?
你知道哪裡可以租車嗎?
2.meaningful a. 有意義的
Roy has been leading a meaningful life since he met Annie.
自從羅伊遇到安妮後,他一直過著有意義的生活。

Phrases for Learning

1.be occupied with + 名詞∕動名詞  忙碌於……
The secretary is occupied with paperwork.
秘書忙著處理文書工作。
2.be eager to + 原形動詞  渴望(做)……
Oscar is eager to go to the beach this weekend.
奧斯卡這個週末很想去海邊。
3.side by side  一起;肩並肩地
The couple sat side by side on the park bench.
這對情侶並肩坐在公園的椅子上。
4.fill + 人 + in on...  向某人提供……的最新消息
Let me fill you in on what happened yesterday.
讓我來告訴你昨天發生了什麼事。



參考字詞

1.Hanukkah n.(猶太教的)光明節
2.Jewish n. 猶太人的,猶太教的



Enjoy Box



光明節


溫馨的十二月,當全世界的人都在為聖誕節瘋狂的時候,猶太人也於此時迎接光明節(Hanukkah)的到來。光明節對猶太人來說,是感謝神賜給他們抗戰勝利的日子。其由來可以追溯至西元前156年,當時馬加比人(Maccabees)推翻了希臘統治者,重振屬於猶太民族的宗教和領土,日後便在猶太曆的『基斯流月(Kislev,通常在西曆的十一、十二月間)』的第二十五日開始連續慶祝八天,以讚頌光明正義的美好。
光明節的主要儀式,就是在這八天中每天點燃蠟燭,第一天會點兩根,第二天三根,以此類推,直到第八天,九根蠟燭全部點燃,因此整個光明節一共會點上四十四根蠟燭。當一般西方人在聖誕節吃著薑餅時,猶太人則趁著光明節享受特製的馬鈴薯餅;聖誕大道旁的火樹銀花亮起之際,光明節的燭臺上也閃耀著溫潤火光。無可避免地,有些猶太家庭不免於十二月時,對於該如何安排兩個節日的慶祝方式,陷入兩難的思考,不知該以何者為主。



Tips In Use
It's really hard to say.
(很難說。)
除了以本句來表『不確定』之外,另外介紹下列句子,讀者可視情況使用:
1.I don't know.    我不知道。
2.I'm not sure.    我不確定。
3.Who knows?     誰知道?
4.It's not certain.  不確定。
5.Nothing is set yet. 一切都還不確定。
6.It's not clear.   事情還不明朗。
7.It's up in the air. 事情懸而未決。

沒有留言:

張貼留言