2011年6月18日 星期六

Destination: New Orleans 前進紐奧良‏

 Dialogue A 
Karen is greeting Martin.
凱倫正在迎接馬汀。
Karen: Welcome to New Orleans!
凱 倫:歡迎來到紐奧良!
Martin: Thanks, I've come to experience Mardi Gras.
馬 汀:謝謝,我是來體驗狂歡節的。
Karen: Well, you're in the right place.
凱 倫:那你可來對了地方。
Martin: I can't wait to see people in costumes parade through the city. Why do people celebrate Mardi Gras1 anyway?
馬 汀:我等不及看到穿著各式服裝的人們穿梭在整座城市中。不過人們到底為什麼要慶祝狂歡節?
Karen: Mardi Gras is the last day of a festival called Carnival. Other places celebrate it, but New Orleans has its own unique traditions.
凱 倫:有一個慶典叫嘉年華會,而狂歡節是其中的最後一天。別的地方也會慶祝這項活動,但紐奧良有其獨特的傳統。
 
 Dialogue B 
Martin: Why does everyone wear masks?
馬 汀:為什麼大家都戴著面具?
Karen: Our French ancestors loved throwing masked parties. Masks are a good way to make everyone have fun. People who are usually quiet have a chance to go crazy.
凱 倫:我們的法國老祖宗喜歡舉辦面具派對。面具是讓人玩得盡興的好方法。平常沉默寡言的人都可以玩得很瘋。
Martin: Maybe I should buy a mask! Boy, I'm hungry…
馬 汀:或許我該買個面具來戴!天啊,我餓了……
Karen: You should try some Creole food and check out a jazz club.
凱 倫:你應該吃吃看克里奧爾式料理,再到爵士俱樂部瞧瞧。
Martin: I'm definitely in the mood for some fresh sounds.
馬 汀:我的確想聽一些令人耳目一新的音樂。
Karen: Then you will want to swing by the French Quarter.
凱 倫:那你就會想到法國區看看。
Martin: That'll be my first stop.
馬 汀:那裡就是我的第一站。 
 
 
 
Building Your Vocabulary 
 
1.parade vi. 遊行
The football players paraded through the city after they won the championship.
美式足球員贏得冠軍後,在城市裡遊行。
2.unique a. 獨特的
Where is the most unique restaurant in town?
鎮上最特別的餐館在哪裡?
3.masked a. 戴面具的
Three masked men robbed a bank.
三名蒙面人搶劫了一家銀行。 
 
 
 
Phrases for Learning 
1.throw a party  舉辦派對
Did you throw a party for Patty's birthday?
你是否有幫佩蒂辦場生日派對?
2.be in the mood for...  想做∕有心情做……
I'm not in the mood for ping pong right now.
我現在沒那個心情打乒乓球。
3.swing by...  順便到訪……
Let's swing by Erin's house and surprise her.
我們順便到厄琳家給她一個驚喜吧。 
 
 
 
參考字詞 
1.Mardi Gras n. 狂歡節
2.Carnival n. 嘉年華會
3.ancestor n. 祖先
4.Creole a. 克里奧爾人的(克里奧爾人為在美國路易斯安那州出生的法國後裔)
5.fresh a. 新的;清新的
6.quarter n.(城市中的)區 
 
 
 
Enjoy Box 
 
 
 
爵士樂之都──紐奧良
 
 
爵士樂最早的起源可回溯到殖民時期。當時,初到美洲的黑奴工作時所哼唱的做活歌(work song)有輪流應答的特色,此特色為日後爵士樂表演的重要技巧。19世紀末,美國南北戰爭結束,黑人獲得解放,醞釀已久的黑人文化終於爆發。再加上戰後軍樂器價格大跌,讓黑人有機會帶著樂器到處表演謀生,早期的爵士樂於是誕生。曾為法國、西班牙殖民地的紐奧良,因當地黑人眾多,便成為孕育爵士樂的大搖籃,進而享有爵士樂之都的美名。
在紐奧良,每年四月底五月初會舉行爵士音樂節,樂手一整天輪番上場表演,讓路易斯阿姆斯壯公園狀似音樂運動場。台上台下唱唱跳跳,熱鬧非凡,到處都充滿著爵士、藍調、鄉村歌曲、西部音樂等悠揚旋律,儼如美國南方的文化大展。紐奧良可謂是爵士樂迷必到的朝聖之地。 
 
 
 
Tips In Use 
Maybe I should buy a mask!
(或許我該買個面具來戴!)
maybe 譯成『也許』。
注意:
maybe 與 may be 完全不同。maybe 是副詞,相當於 perhaps,使用時通常置於句首修飾全句,但 perhaps 則是句首或句中均可使用。
May be he'll be coming tomorrow. (X)
→Maybe he'll be coming tomorrow. (○)
=Perhaps he'll be coming tomorrow.
(也許他明天會來。)
而 may be 是 be 動詞之前加了助動詞 may,譯成『也許是』。
You maybe right. (X)
→You may be right. (○)
(你也許是對的。)

沒有留言:

張貼留言